Dear Rick,
My first suggestion would be to refer your patron to the U.S.
Army Corps of Engineers library, either to travel there or to
ask what they have in the way of maps showing the camps.  In
more general terms, the following would be helpful:

Mundy's Pocket Map of Northwest Canada and Part of Alaska.
3rd ed.  Scale ca. 1:4,000,000
Edmonton, AB: Mundy Map Co., 1943.
Passed by Canadian Censor of Publications and submitted to
U.S. authorities.
  73.3 x 47.8 cm. folding into card cover 21.6 x 11.5 cm.
Cover title: Map of Alaska Highway.
   A note attached to a copy in the William C. Wonders Map
Collection at the University of Alberta says "First map to
show the Alaska Highway."  I can't confirm that this is so
but it makes some sense in that Edmonton was the headquarters
for the highway construction.

Both the topographic and aeronautical versions of Canada
1:506,880 series issued during 1943 to 1945 show the highway,
the emergency air strips (the aeronauticals even have runway
layouts for major bases and navigation/radio information)
related to the North West Staging Route.

A search of the Univ. of Alberta catalogue turned up a few
things you may not have uncovered yet.  My favourite, seen
in Alaska, has both photos and maps.

Cohen, Stan.  _The trail of '42: a pictorial history of the
Alaska Highway_.  Missoula, MO: Pictorial Histories, c.1979.
  also a 1994 reprint

Others which I haven't looked at are:

_The Alaska Highway historic milepost, 1942-1992; a mile by mile
guide--_  [s.l.: s.n., 1992?]

Yukon Archives.  _The Alaska Highway, 1942-1991: a comprehensive
bibliography of material available in the Yukon Archives &
MacBride Museum_.  Whitehorse, YT: The Archives, 1993.

Coutes, Kenneth.  _The Alaska highway in World War II: the
U.S. Army of occupation in Canada's northwest_.  by K.S.
Coates and W.R. Morrison.  Norman, OK: Univ. of Oklahoma Press,
1992.

_The Alaska Highway: papers of the 40th Anniversary Symposium_./
edited by Kenneth Coates.  (This may be Coutes or the one above
may be Coates - don't know if I made a mistake or there is an e
error in the catalogue)
Vancouver, BC: Univ. of British Columbia Press, 1985

_Three northern wartime projects_. edited by Bob Hesketh.
Edmonton, AB: Published jointly by Canadian Circumpolar
Institute [&] Edmonton & District Historical Society,
1996.  (these are papers of a symposium on the 50th anniv.)

There are other book titles which I'm sure you have access to.
Hope this helps.

Ron

way At 03:23 PM 5/16/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I'm helping a patron who is looking for maps of the Alaskan Highway
>from around the time it was built in the 1940s, or more or less
>during WWII. I've got records for a number of gov. and non-gov.
>related books some of which include maps (I haven't seen these maps
>yet) but thought I would also ask the Maps-L braintrust. Any ideas
>where to find maps from this period. He's especially interested in
>the military bases or camps that existed along the highway at the
>time. Thanks in advance.
>Rick
>
>Richard Stringer-Hye
>Library Technology Coordinator
>Science and Engineering Library
>419 21st Ave. South
>Vanderbilt University
>Nashville, TN 37240
>Tel: (615) 343-4395
>Fax: (615) 343-7249

Ron Whistance-Smith
14520 84th Ave. NW
Edmonton, AB
Canada   T5R 3X2
FAX: (403) 483-5858                   email: [log in to unmask]