The three high map case height as maximum has frequently been inferred
from several statements of Catherine Bahn's in her article "Map
Libraries--Space and Equipment".  Approximately half way through she
discusses "Careful planning of the arrangement of equipment should be a
prerequisite to the actual assignment of space....Three large,
fixed-drawer sections will hold a maximum of 3000 maps and provide work
space on the top to handle maps for processing or examination."  In the
next paragraph she states, "Many of the map libraries are now crowded
into limited space with narrow aisles and overloaded map cases piled
four to six high, which makes for inefficient filing and retrieval of
maps."  This article was published in the SLA Geography and Map Division
Bulletin No.46 1961 p.3-17.  It was republished in Drazniowsky's Map
Librarianship:Readings.  If you are looking at his book, the quote is on
page 369.  The article was latter updated by Mary Galneder but I have
been unable to check to see if she expands on the topic.

Hope this is helpful.  I have used these statements in combination with
the weight restrictions from her article to persuade my administration
on several occasions not to exceed the three high maximum.  It has also
been helpful for me to mention how it could be unsafe for one of our
students of average height to try to refile bulky maps from a step
ladder when cases are stacked any higher.

Helen

HelenJane Armstrong, PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Library