Mary and everyone,
  We have map cases 5 high, and our physical plant guys tell me that some
of the bases are bent ("torqued") from the weight.
  I would recommend not stacking cases more than 4 high because of the
physical difficulty of dealing with map drawers at the height of 6' or so.
We have to use a rolling ladder to access the 5th case, and even then I
can't really see into the top drawer (I'm 5'5" - a medium-sized female).
  I also worry about patrons and staff incurring serious injuries from
either hitting their heads on drawers left open at head height, or falling
off the ladder as they're reaching/lifting map folders out of
the drawers. The ladder seems really safe as long as you're just standing
on it, but you know what gyrations you can go through as you get the
folders out of the drawer.
   Most of all, I'm counting on Mother Nature not putting on any
major seismic events until we've moved, as promised, to a more
spacious location where we can spread out more.
  - Cynthia Jahns, UC Santa Cruz  /  [log in to unmask]