A key source used by library architects, planners, and designers,
"Planning academic and research library buildings" by Keyes Metcalf (2nd
ed., 1986, ed. by Leighton & Weber) states the following (p.183, "Maps and
broadsides"):

A commonly available case made of steel is fabricated in units of five
drawers; the cases are typically set up with two or three units plus a
base, which permits use of the top surface for sorting or viewing the maps.
Cases have been put together that are 6 ft high or higher, but sheets and
folders stored at this height may be damaged when they are removed from or
replaced in the cases.  When a drawer is so high, one's vision is cut off
unless a stool is used when filing.  Weight can become a significant factor
when these cases are assembled to greater heights.

Amy Ciccone
University of Southern California Library