----------------------------Original message---------------------------- A key source used by library architects, planners, and designers, "Planning academic and research library buildings" by Keyes Metcalf (2nd ed., 1986, ed. by Leighton & Weber) states the following (p.183, "Maps and broadsides"): A commonly available case made of steel is fabricated in units of five drawers; the cases are typically set up with two or three units plus a base, which permits use of the top surface for sorting or viewing the maps. Cases have been put together that are 6 ft high or higher, but sheets and folders stored at this height may be damaged when they are removed from or replaced in the cases. When a drawer is so high, one's vision is cut off unless a stool is used when filing. Weight can become a significant factor when these cases are assembled to greater heights. Amy Ciccone University of Southern California Library > OK gang. I have been known to quote "national map library standards" > to my bosses, about how map cases should be no higher than ca. 50"... > > now they want to know where I got that from... did I make this up in a > creative moment? I went to the SLA university library standards, and > it is not there. Not in Larsgaard or Drazniowsky. > > I would like to think I am my own authority on all things, especially > map cases [sigh] but no. > > Any one out there in library land, who has been working on space > studies, have a clue as to where this "3 units high" idea came from? > > Alice Hudson > Map Division, NYPL > [log in to unmask]