Dear David,

>     One of our intrepid graduate students is trying to create a digital
>model of the area around Serengetti National Park.  He would like to
>digitize the following sheets from the Tanzania Geological Map Series
>(1:125,000 scale): 13, 14, 23, 24, 25.  He also needs the 1:250,000
>topographic sheets covering the same area.  He asked me for soil and
>vegetation maps at similar scales, but as near as I can tell they have not
>been produced at scales larger than 1:4,000,000.  If I am wrong, please let
>me know.

The National Atlas of Tanzania (1976, 1967 and 1956) contains soil and
vegetation maps at 1:3,000,000 scale, the first edition (1948) was at the
smaller scale of 1:4,000,000.

Also containing maps at 1:4,000,000 scale, is the Handbook of Natural
Resources, East Africa (1973) produced by the Directorate of Overseas
Surveys (UK).

District and regional maps at scales of 1:250,000 and 1:500,000 have also
been published and show roads, settlements, and a colour overprint of
forests, farms and estates.

I would be interested to see the results of your intrepid graduate if
successful in his task.  I have recently produced a series of prototype
maps (1:2,000,000 - 1:5,000,000 scales) for a Digital National Atlas of
Tanzania as part of my Masters' dissertation and have a special interest in
the cartography and mapping of Tanzania.

MIke Shand

Mike Shand,  M.App.Sci.                    Tel: Direct     0141-330-4780
Senior Cartographer,                       E-mail: [log in to unmask]
CartoGraphics Unit,                        Fax:            0141-330-4894
Dept. of Geography & Topographic Science,
University of Glasgow.                     Honorary Secretary:
GLASGOW, G12 8QQ,                          SOCIETY OF CARTOGRAPHERS
Scotland, U.K.

Web Site:       http://www.geog.gla.ac.uk/~mshand
or              http://mshand.geog.gla.ac.uk/

SPECIAL    http://mshand.geog.gla.ac.uk/ATLAS%20OF%20TANZANIA/atlas.htm