We have the 1992 ed.  World atlas of desertification / Middleton & Thomas.
I don't know what changes have been made in the 1997 edition, but the
1992 ed. is a good atlas, good cartography and explanatory text, nice
paper and well bound.

1992 ed is 69 color pages. Global
section includes 20 maps, scales 1:350M to 1:115M; Africa section, 16
maps, scales 1:90M to 1:45M; and "Case studies" of Syria, 2 maps; China, 2
maps; Argentina, 6 maps; Kenya, 9 maps; Mali, 5 maps; Tunisia, 2 maps.

I notice it hasn't been checked out since 1995.  Kathryn

Kathryn Womble                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Map Collection                          Phone: (206) 543-9392
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, WA  98195-2900