Our (general purpose) university library has money to update
their atlas collection. I have been invited to advise our library
on good titles to go for. We have the latest Times World, and they
all have to be traditional hard copy - digital ones are out, at least
for the moment.

The intention is to have a good general-purpose reference collection,
but there is also possibly scope for atlases that are selected as
particularly good (or even particularly BAD, if they demonstrate this
well!) examples of the cartographers' and the atlas editors' craft.
Similarly, while most should be World or European in focus (and they
can be mono-thematic or general), there could also be room for one or
two national atlases for other countries, if they demonstrated especially
good examples of thematic cartographic styles...

The budget is not enormous, but at the same time should be enough for,
say, a half-dozen or so titles, perhaps as many as 10 if they are not
too extravigantly-priced.

Any suggestions or recommendations, folks?

Darius
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Mobile (in Ireland): 086 8238043    Mobile (from abroad): (+353) 86 8238043
E-mail: [log in to unmask]       Web URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/djb
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....