Darius Bartlett wrote:
> On a couple of occasions now, I have come upon old sun-dials while browsing
> antique shops, and have been tempted to buy. If I do, how do I go about
> setting it up in my garden so that it is correctly oriented (assuming we
> ever get any sun to use it by!)? I have a sneaking suspicion that each
> individual sundial will be unique to the latitude of the location it is
> designed for - would this be correct?

You are correct in assuming that sudials are designed for
particular latitudes.  You can find out how to adjust your
sundial for latitude, and otherwise get it to function
correctly, at:
        http://www.sundials.co.uk/setup.htm

Andrew McIntire
U.S. Census Bureau, TIGER Mapping Branch
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so."