--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 09:42:06 -0400
From: jim-minton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SURVEYING QUESTION
Sender: jim-minton <[log in to unmask]>

Map Folks:

I give many lectures to students about surveying and use many USGS
1:24,000 quads to illustarte the affect of surveying on the  cultural
landscape:  Metes & bounds in New England and other parts of the the
Eastern U.S., township & range for many western sites, and some quads
from the Great Lakes and Louisiana to illustrate the French influence
(long lots/ribbon farms).

Relative to the French "pattern", the lot pattern is normally narrow and
runs back from the river frontage.  However, one quad sheet has several
lines that baffle me.  Could someone please explain the radiating lines
on the Fitler Quadrangle, Mississippi-Louisiana?  These are in the
northwest corner of the sheet.

The only thing I can think of is that the Mississippi  River changed
course in this area and that maybe the radiating point was at a sharp
bend in the river.

Will appreciate any light on this question.

Jim Minton
--- End Forwarded Message ---