]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SHOREBIRDS Home

SHOREBIRDS  August 2017

SHOREBIRDS August 2017

James Bay Shorebird Report #2 - Photos and Videos

Ron Pittaway <[log in to unmask]>

Ron Pittaway <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Aug 2017 10:52:17 -0400

text/plain

This is my second and summary report for the period 6 to 14 August 2017 from
Longridge Point (51.798942N, 080.69204W) on the southwest coast of James Bay
in Ontario about 910 km (565 mi) north of Toronto. This report pertains only
to Longridge. The vast tidal mudflats make James Bay one of the most
important shorebird stopover sites in North America.

LINK to 6 pages of photos and videos
http://jeaniron.ca/2017/JB17/p1.htm

SHOREBIRDS: We recorded 26 species of shorebirds from 30 July to 14 August.
Notable counts since last report:

Black-bellied Plover: 112 adults on 8 August

Semipalmated Plover: 132 on 12th

Stilt Sandpiper new: 1 juvenile on 12 August and 4 on 13th

Buff-breasted Sandpiper new: 1 on 6th and 8th (adult)

White-rumped Sandpiper high count: 7892 on 8th

Semipalmated Sandpiper: 5299 on 12 August

Hudsonian Godwit: 304 on 12th

OTHER BIRDS

American Bittern: 1 on 10 August

Little Gull: 1 on 8th and 2 on 10th

Caspian Tern: 1 adult on 12th

Arctic Tern: 1 adult on 10 and 11th

Great Horned Owl: 1 on 7, 8, 10 and 11th

Common Nighthawk: 1 on 12th

Olive-sided Flycatcher: 1 on 13th

LONGRIDGE CREW: 6 crew members were Anne Blondin (ON), Mark Dorriesfield
(ON), Dan Froehlich (WA State), Jean Iron (ON), Nicole Richardson (ON), Kiah
Walker (NH).

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Surveys are under the direction of Christian Friis of the
Canadian Wildlife Service (Environment and Climate Change Canada) with
partners Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Trent
University, and Bird Studies Canada in conjunction with a larger
conservation initiative involving James Bay First Nations and Nature Canada.

We look forward to James Bay receiving recognition as a Western Hemisphere
Shorebird Reserve Network.

Jean Iron and Ron Pittaway
Toronto, Ontario
www.jeaniron.ca