This week's announcements from ISL - Improving Student Life.
International Student Life events:
1. Another Fabulous International Coffee Hour
2. Street Festival Volunteers Needed
3. New! Global Connection Board
4. Reminder - LAW meeting
5. International Basketball Night at the Ramsey Center.
Office of International Education events:
1. 16th Annual UGA Study Work, and Travel Abroad Fair
Other University Events:
1. The Day a Pig Fell into the Well
2. Infusion Magazine Needs Writers, Editors
3. Housing for 7th International Congress of Ethnobiology
4. Indian Classical Dance Show
5. Elegant Salute VII: A Taste of the Orient
6. Wings of Desire
7. Pamoja Dance Company Show
1. Boston Career Forum for Japanese-English Bilinguals
2. Christmas House International
3. Friendship International House at Christmas
3. Scary, Oozy, Slimy Day Volunteers Needed
4. Nashville Songwriters Association International
International Student Life events
1. Come sample traditional Taiwanese finger foods at this week's coffee
hour, sponsored by the Taiwan Student Association and Faith Presbyterian
Church. Special treat, this week's coffee is sponsored by Jittery
Joe's. As with all ISL Coffee Hours, admission is FREE. Memorial Hall
Ballroom Friday, October 6, 2000 from 11:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
2. We need your help, come help plan the largest and most exciting
Street Festival in Athens! ISL Office is looking for volunteers to serve
on committees for the Third Annual International Street Festival on
April 14, 2001. We need your help to plan this event. We need
energetic volunteers to help with advertising, fundraising,
performances, scheduling, and overall coordination of the Festival.
Please remember that the planning stage begins soon, this month. Please
contact Saehee Chang at 542-5867 if you would like to help with the
International Street Festival!
3. The new Global Connection Board is up and running. If you are
interested in meeting someone from your home country or a different
country you may put in a request on your global friends board. You may
come by the ISL office and fill out a request form, or check on
requests. Get Connected!
4. Leaders and World Ambassadors (L.A.W.) meeting THursday, October 13,
2000 at 6:30 p.m. Room 411 Memorial Hall. Call ISL for more information.
5. Basketball Night for Internationals! On October 6th, international
students are invited to an exciting evening of learning how to play
basketball. If you are interested, please sign-up at Coffee Hour or at
the ISL Office. Donny, a U.S. graduate student, will be glad to show
you the cool moves! Friday evening, 8 to 10 p.m. on Oct. 6th
at Ramsey Center. Free!
Office of International Education Events
1. Explore your world of options at the 16th Annual Work, Travel and
Study Abroad Fair. Representatives from over 80 study, work, and travel
abroad organizations from around the globe will be there to hand out
information and answer questions. Tuesday, October 24, 10:00 until 3:00
p.m. at the Tate Center, Georgia Hall. Admission is free, open to
students, faculty and staff. For more information, contact Deborah
Andersen at 542-7903.
Other University Events
1. This film follows the daily routines of three people living in Seoul,
Korea. Wednesday, October 18, 7:30 p.m. at the Georgia Museum of Art.
For more information, please call (706) 542-GMOA.
2. Infusion Magazine (multicultural), needs/wants writers, editors,
etc. Please email Hispanic Student Association
[log in to unmask] for more information.
3. 7th International Congress of Ethnobiology will be in Athens, October
22-28th. Many of the delegates/participants will need temporary housing
while attending the conference. This is a great opportunity for you to
extend your hand to people from other parts of the country and around
the world. Hosts will be asked to provide transportation once a day to
and from the conference venue. For information about the Congress
checkout the web site: http://guallart.dac.uga.edu/ISE. If you can open
up your home to one or more visitors, please contact David
Cozzo,[log in to unmask] or (706) 316-1583.
4. Indian Classical Dance Show organized by ASHA will be October 21,
2000 in the Georgia Hall of the Tate Center. Tickets $5 UGA students, 7
Non-students. Contact Yash (706) 227-6920 or Tim Chendrimada (706)
5. Join the Friends of the Museum for their biennial fundraiser,
Elegance Salute. This year's gala, chaired by Devereux Burch, will have
an Asian theme, with a gourmet dinner of Eastern dishes prepared by Lee
Epting Catering. Black tie, $250.00 per person.
6. Wings of Desire, set in Post-war Berlin, is about two Angels who roam
and one decides to become human. October 2, 2000, Tate Cinema, by the
7. Pamoja Dance Company at the historic Morton Theater, October 12-13
at 7:00 p.m. Contact Minority Services and Programs 542-2773.
1. The 14th annual Boston Career Forum for Japanese-English speakers
will be the largest ever. With recruiters from over 140 prestigious
companies offering a wide variety of positions, this is your chance to
meet, interview and land your ideal job. Register now and realize all
of your possibilities. The forum will be October 20-22 at the World
Trade Center Boston. To Register and for additional information, visit
the web site www.career forum.net or call 1-800-999-0179. Registration
2. Ready to get away for the Christmas Holidays? Spend Christmas with
an American Family in another part of the country? Christmas
International House 2000 is taking applications October 8 through
December 1. The program goes from December 20, 2000 - January 2, 2001.
For more information visit the web site: www.christmasih.org, you may
contact them by e-mail at [log in to unmask] or call 770-938-4291.
3. Another Chance to get away for the Christmas Holidays, visit an
American Family and go to another part of the country. Friendship
International House 2000 is taking applications now through November
30. The program goes from December 18, 2000 - January 2, 2001. For an
application or request for information, contact Friendship International
House c/o Bill Lee 664 Sugar Creek Trail, Conyers, GA 30094,
Phone:770-785-7603 (between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.,
Fax:770-785-7007 or email: [log in to unmask]
4. Looking for a great community project to support? Do you have a
particularly scary expertise or interest? Want to have a great time
around Halloween. Look no further, Sandy Creek Nature Center is the
place for you. October 21, 2000 from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. To sign up call
Stephanie Jones or Rebecca Legum at 613-3615, ext. 230.
5. Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI), Athens,
Georgia Chapter Regional Workshop will host its first meeting October
5th, at 6:30 p.m in the ISL Graduate Lounge. The group will meet
tentatively every first Thursday of the month. The workshop will provide
local songwriters/aspiring songwriters with the opportunity to improve
their skills, learn more about the music industry, evaluate songs, and
network with one another on a regular basis. All interested in
songwriting or music are welcome to attend. You may contact Swagata
"Ban" Banerjee (706) 583-8519. For more information on NSA go to their
web site www.Nashvillesongwriters.com.
International Student Life
Department of Student Activities
210 Memorial Hall
The University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-3108
Email: [log in to unmask]
Coordinator, Saehee Chang
International Activities Advisor, Leigh Poole
Administrative Secretary, Jackie Minus
Graduate Student Assistant, Jean Shim