Announcements from the OIE

Lindsey Parsons <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:05:57 -0400

text/plain

Study Abroad Fair a Great Success

Thanks to all the students who came out for the UGA Study, Work & Travel
Abroad Fair on Oct. 24. It was a great success with around 1500 students
attending. If you missed the fair, brochures from all of the
representatives can be found in our Study Abroad Library in 209 Barrow Hall.

**************************

Regents Scholarship Applications Due Next Wednesday

A reminder that if you're planning to apply for the Regents Scholarship for
a study abroad program for the spring semester of 2001, then the
application is due in our office on Wednesday, Nov. 1. Applications are
available in the study abroad library in 209 Barrow Hall or can be
downloaded from our web site at:
<http://www.uga.edu/oie/schship.htm#Regents>. Questions about the
scholarship should be directed to Julie Escobedo, [log in to unmask], 542-7903.

**************************

Program/Scholarship Opportunity in Germany

DAAD, a summer language program in Berlin, Germany, is offering a
scholarship for their program this summer in Germany at
Humboldt-Universitšt. The course will focus on intensive language
instruction in small groups for four hours each morning.  Seminars and
guest lectures in the afternoons are designed to provide a unique forum for
exploring advanced topics relating to Germany and its role in the New
Europe as well as the history, culture and politics of Berlin.  Seniors and
graduate students enrolled full time at United States or Canadian colleges
or universities are eligible to apply for admission with scholarship, or
for admission only.  In general, applicants must be citizens of the United
States or Canada.  Foreign nationals may be eligible to apply if they have
been full-time students at a US or Canadian university for more than one
year at the time of application.  Students in the fields of English, German
or any other modern languages or literatures are not eligible.  Preference
will be given to applicants who demonstrate a need for acquiring a better
proficiency in the German language for their future studies or research.
For more information, consult their website at
http://www.daad.org/frg_all.htm.  (On the website, the program is listed as
"Berlin--European Metropolis of the Third Millenium.")

**************************

Job/Internship Opportunities in International Education

Please reply to this e-mail to request full announcement for this
opportunity.

Information Coordinator
Center for International Education, Juniata College
Huntingdon, PA

**************************

Student Quotes

-From a student in Madrid, Spain:

"Two of my classmates and I went to our political science professor's house
to discuss topics for our extra credit paper. He served us tea and cookies
and we discussed politics for an hour and a hlaf. Then, he gave us a tour
of the house and a mini-history lesson. If that isn't getting to know your
professor, then I don't know what is!"

Office of International Education
University of Georgia
201 Barrow Hall