Announcements from the OIE

Lindsey Parsons <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:34:30 -0500

text/plain

Summer Study Abroad Pre-departure Orientation

If you are going on a study abroad program this summer, it is likely that
you are getting some kind of pre-departure orientation with your program.
However, if you would like more support and information on preparing for
your overseas adventure, then join the Office of International Education
for it's Annual UGA Pre-departure Orientation program on Saturday, April
6th in the North PJ Auditorium. The program will begin promptly at 9:00
a.m. and will last approximately 1 1/2 - 2 hours. UGA students and their
parents are invited to attend. Please let us know if you are planning to
join us by
sending an email to Deborah Faucher at [log in to unmask]

Tate Student Center, room 143 on Wednesday, April 3rd, between 2:30 p.m.-
4:30 p.m. to get more information about API's programs abroad.

***AMERICAN INSTITUTE FOR FOREIGN STUDY***
Mr. Fred von Schmeling from the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
will be on campus to meet with students interested in learning more about
study abroad opportunities sponsored by AIFS. AIFS has programs in
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, England, France,
Holland, Ireland, Italy, Poland, Russia, South Africa and Spain (see:
http://www.aifs.org/college/). Stop by the Tate Student Center, room 143 on
Thursday, April 11th from 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. to get more information on
the various AIFS programs abroad.

********************

SA-Talk Listserve

The OIE hosts a listserve called SA-Talk, where students going abroad,
students who are currently abroad and students who have returned can talk
with each other. It's a forum to ask advice on good places to visit,
hotels, restaurants, activities, or to ask for a recommendation for a study
abroad program. It can also be a forum to discuss issues related to study
abroad or to advertise your apartment for lease while you'll be abroad. To
join the listserve, go to: <http://listserv.uga.edu/archives/> and choose
the SA-Talk listserve.

********************

Scholarships for Study Abroad

A limited number of Ambassador Awards will be offered to students
participating in the UNO-Innsbruck Summer School this summer.  Ambassador
Awards are generous working scholarships.  Recipients of this award will be
required to work with the UNO staff several hours each week during the
summer term in Innsbruck. Students with an excellent academic record (3.8
GPA and higher), leadership potential, and demonstrated financial need are
strongly encouraged to apply. Applications are available in the Office of
International Education, 209 Barrow Hall and in the Honors Program office,
315 Moore College. Submit applications to the Office of International
Education by noon on April 17.

The Bridging Scholarship program administered by the Association of
Teachers of Japanese will award 50 scholarships to American students
participating in study-abroad programs in Japan that begin in Fall 2002.
The deadline for application is  April 3, 2002. For more information or an
application, please see:
<http://www.colorado.edu/ealld/atj/Bridging/scholarships.html>.

UGA students planning on attending a Butler University Institute for Study
Abroad program (they offer programs to Australia, New Zealand, the U.K.,
Ireland, Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica and Cuba - see
http://www.isa-butler.org/) for fall or spring of next year can apply for
UGA Butler scholarships. They range in amount from $500 - $1,000. We always
have more scholarships than applicants for these scholarships, so don't
hesitate to apply. For an application, contact Julie Avila, [log in to unmask],
(706) 542-7903.

********************

Job Announcements in International Education

Georgia Perimeter College
Assistant Director of Entry Services for International Students
Atlanta, GA

Marketing Coordinator
Centers for Academic Programs Abroad (CAPA)
Boston, MA

For the complete announcement, please reply to this e-mail and specify
which job(s).

********************

Student Quotes

-From a student studying in Brisbane, Australia: "So far I have really
enjoyed all the traveling I have done. Not only have I visited new places,
but since I was on my own for the most part, I felt 100% independent and
met many wonderful people. The Great Barrier Reef was spectacular!! I went
scuba diving for the first time there! ( : "

Office of International Education
University of Georgia
209 Barrow Hall
Athens, GA  30602-2407