Threat to Perkins funding

Frank Flanders <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:50:48 -0500

text/plain

I am sure you have gotten the alert about the current threats to the
Perkins Act funding. (If not, the full text is list at bottom.)

Our national leadership has requested response from all agricultural
professionals. I went to
          http://capwiz.com/acte/home/
I typed in my zip code and added my name and clicked send. In two
minutes I had send e-mails to the President, my Representative and
Senators. It was very easy. I encourage you to do the same.

--
Frank B. Flanders, EdD
Agricultural Education

<<Legislative Alert - November 20.doc>>
    ACTE-wire LEGISLATIVE ALERT

WORST PERKINS THREAT IN YEARS!
November 20, 2002
Immediate Action Needed!
ACTE has learned through very reliable sources that a new, serious
threat to the Perkins Act is being considered in the Administration.
The proposal, which would be part of the President's budget
submission to Congress early next year, would eliminate funding for
the Perkins Act and use the budget allocation to offset a shortfall
that exists in the Pell Grant program. Decisions on this proposal will
be made by the beginning of December, and action is needed now
to stop it. If this proposal is accepted there will be...
NO MONEY AT ALL FOR THE PERKINS ACT!
In addition, echoing the job training block grant debates in the last
reauthorization, the Administration is considering transferring all
functions of the Office of Vocational and Adult Education to the
Department of Labor. This would mean that any activities related to
career and technical education would be administered out of the
Department of Labor, most likely as a part of the Workforce
Investment Act. Advocates for WIA should NOT consider this a
way to get more money for WIA, however, because the Perkins
money would not be moved into the WIA account. It would go
someplace else entirely to pay for Pell Grants.
ACTE remains a steadfast supporter of the Pell Grant program, a
critical federal initiative to help the lowest income students pursue
postsecondary career and technical education as well as other
postsecondary programs. While the need to find resources is
critical, taking the Perkins money is not the answer to the Pell Grant
shortfall. It would be "robbing Peter to pay Paul."
ACTION NEEDED: Immediately call, fax or email the White House,
congressional leaders, and your members of the U.S. House of
Representatives and U.S. Senate, focusing primarily on
Republicans because they will have the most influence over the
Bush Administration. Use the following talking points in your calls
and letters:
* We have learned that the Administration is seriously
considering eliminating the Perkins Act, using its money to pay for
the Pell Grant shortfall, and shifting any remaining focus on career
and technical education away from education by moving it to the
Department of Labor.
* The Perkins Act provides the largest federal investment into
high schools. The loss of these funds would decimate reform efforts
across the nation.
* The Perkins Act provides critical program funds to community
and technical colleges which, in turn, provide the most economical,
best focused skill development opportunities to postsecondary
students of all ages who are pursuing careers in technical fields
where skilled workers are sorely needed.
* Attempts were made in the 104th Congress to merge career
and technical education and job training, which wreaked havoc on
the policy-making process and generated negative backlash from
constituents across the country, including those from across the
political spectrum.
* Eliminating Perkins funding would cripple high schools and
community colleges, exacerbating the damage that is already being
done due to shortages of state and local resources as a result of the
economic conditions.
* AS YOUR CONSTITUENT, I ASK YOU TO INTERVENE AND
URGE THE ADMINISTRATION TO PURSUE A PRODUCTIVE
DIALOGUE ON THE PERKINS REAUTHORIZATION, LEAVING
THE FUNDING INTACT AND FOCUSED ON CAREER AND
TECHNICAL EDUCATION RATHER THAN TRANSFERRING
FUNDS TO PELL GRANTS AND PROGRAM ADMINISTRATION
TO THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR.
For an easy way to contact your member of Congress, go to the
Public Policy page of ACTE's web site at
http://www.acteonline.org/policy/index.cfm. There you will find an
online tool where you can write your letter, print it to send via fax, or
e-mail it to specific members of Congress. Just enter your zip code
in the box under "Action Alert" to receive contact information for your
member of Congress, and you are ready to write and edit your letter
or e-mail. A sample letter is provided under "Action Alert" that
addresses these issues. For your convenience, we have attached a
list of key Republican leaders in Congress for you to target. To
contact the White House, call the switchboard at 202/456-1414 and
ask for the Domestic Policy Office, e-mail
[log in to unmask], or write to Domestic Policy Office,
White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC
20500.
<<target Congressional- with staff.csv>>

Alisha Dixon
Legislative Assistant
Association for Career and Technical Education
1410 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 683-3111 ext. 331