Announcements from the OIE

Lindsey Parsons <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 May 2003 11:22:26 -0400

text/plain

Peer Advisors Needed for Summer Orientation

The Office of International Education is still looking for a couple more
students who have studied abroad and who will be in Athens this summer to
help with orientation for first-year students.  Orientation runs from June
10 - July 31 and includes giving a presentation in the afternoon of the
first day of each two-day session and manning a table at a resource fair in
the morning of the second day of each session. Minimum time commitment
would be 1-2.5 hours/week (depending on whether you manned the table or did
the presentation). This is a great resume-building opportunity, but is
unpaid.  If you are interested, please contact Lindsey Parsons,
[log in to unmask] for more information.

****************

International Perspectives on Women & Gender

The Women's Studies department is offering a course in fall 2003 entitled
"International Perspectives on Women & Gender" (WMST 4010). It will examine
with the socially-constructed concepts of femininity and masculinity across
cultures and societies, focusing primarily on Latin America. For more
information, please contact Dr. Patricia Richards ([log in to unmask]) or call
Women's Studies at 542-2846.

****************

Financial Aid and HOPE for Fall

For students studying abroad this fall on non-UGA programs or on UGA
exchange programs, please note that financial aid, HOPE and other
scholarships that qualify will be disbursed to you 10 days before the start
of the UGA semester, or 10 days before the start of your program, whichever
comes later. This means that for students studying abroad in Australia, New
Zealand, or another location whose fall terms starts in the U.S. summer,
you will not receive your financial aid until 10 days before the start of
the UGA fall term. Financial aid checks are sent to the address you have
marked for receiving financial aid in OASIS.

****************

International Job Announcements

American InterContinental University-London
Study Abroad Program Assistant

For the complete announcement, please reply to this message.

****************

Job Announcements in International Education

Manager of Student Programs
Foundation for International Understanding Through Students
University of Washington, Seattle

Assistant Director of Winter Term (Study Abroad Programs)
DePauw University
Greencastle, IN

Marketing Coordinator
British Council USA
Washington DC

International Studies Program Assistant, Office of International Studies
Goucher College
Baltimore, Maryland

For the complete announcement for any of these vacancies, please reply to
this message and specify which one(s).

****************

Glimpse Magazine Spring Writing and Photo Essay Contest

May 15 is the deadline for this contest. For entry guidelines, see:
http://www.theglimpse.com/newsite/viewarticle2.asp?articleid=122

****************

AIU Job Applicants - Resend Application

If you applied for the position of Campus Relations Representative, Study
Abroad Programs for American InterContinental University by e-mail any time
between May 2-6, the person in charge's e-mail was not working. Please
resend your application/correspondence.

****************

Student Quotes

From a student studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina
". . . since my time here started, I have really come to love and feel a
part of this huge, insane city. At this point I feel like a part of the
society. I can speak the language, which has completely changed my life
here."

Office of International Education
University of Georgia
209 Barrow Hall