]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISL Home

ISL  November 2003

ISL November 2003

Weekly Announcements for the Week of November 10 - 14, 2003

International Student Life <[log in to unmask]>

Int'l. Student Life Office

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:58:25 -0500

text/plain

International Student Life events
1.  Worried About a Job?
2.  IEW Needs Your Help
3.  Fast-A-Thon
4.  Coffee Hour
5.  International Education Week -- Come join us as we celebrate you!
6.  Thanksgiving Dinner
7.  December International Graduates!
8.  It's Time to Order Your Graduation Sashes
9.  Holiday Tree ornaments for a good cause

Other Notices
1. OIE Silent Auction and Dinner
2. Nashville Songwriters Association

 International Student Life events
=================================

1.  International Student,Are you worried about finding a job? Let the
Career Center Staff help you write a spectacular resume/CV that will catch
any employer's eye, and answer questions you might have regarding the
interviewing process or searching for a job.
Come to an event designed especially for YOU!The Second International
Students' Career Workshop on November 13th,
2003, will feature:
   -Resume/CV Critique (We will personally look at everyone's resume!)
   -Introduction to Interviewing
   Do not forget that the event is at 6:30 PM on November 13th, in the Tate
Student Center, Room 137. Don't miss out on this great opportunity to stand
out in a world of competition!
UGA Career Center and ISL Office

2.  Hey everyone!  I know everyone is busy, but if you can, read the
following and volunteer if you have the time!  International Week is coming
up November 14th-21st, and ISL is looking for the following volunteer slots
to be filled.  A sign-up sheet is in 210 Memorial Hall, so please either
email Allison on what you can do, or sign up at ISL.   Thanks in advance for
all of your hard work!  If you have any questions, email Allison Krache at
Monday, November 17th, 2003: African/Caribbean Day
4:30pm-6:30pm - We need 2-5 volunteers for set up and clean up of tea talk
in the ISL Lounge.  The discussion will be led by African Student Union.
Free authentic snacks from ISL students and tea from Infusia!
5:30pm-8:00pm - Leigh needs a volunteer to go with her to the OIE Potluck
dinner.  Please volunteer for this if you have experience in organizing
large-scale events at Tate.  Your knowledge will be beneficial to helping.
7:15pm-10:00pm - We will be showing an African movie called "Yeelen" in the
Student Learning Center, room 102, and need someone to be sure to pop in the
tape in case people are late getting back from the OIE dinner.

Tuesday, November 18th, 2003: Europe Day
4:45pm-6:00pm - We need 2-5 volunteers for set up and clean up of tea talk
in the ISL Lounge.  The discussion will be on the Ukrainian and Armenian
cultures.  Free authentic snacks from ISL students and tea from Infusia!
5:30pm-7:30pm - We need 7-10 volunteers to help set up the UGA World Cup
rematch.  We'll need to set up goals, cones, and get some water and a first
aid kit from ISL.  We will also need one more referee and a scorekeeper.  We
are currently in the process of getting pizza, so you may have a free dinner
if you come help!!
7:15pm-9:30pm - We will be showing a movie called "East/West" in the Student
Learning Center, room 102, and need someone to be sure to pop in the tape.

Wednesday, November 19th, 2003 - need lots of help this day!!!!
8:00am-5:00pm - Throughout the day: we need volunteers to be in the ISL
office to answer the phone and take messages while the ISL staff is working
during Tatey Days.  What times can you volunteer for?
7:30am-5pm - Tatey Days at the Tate Plaza.  Pick a time you can help!  We
especially need a set-up crew and a clean-up crew for this!  Free donuts and
coffee if you come help in the early morning!
5:00pm-6:30pm - We need 2-5 volunteers for set up and clean up of a Peace
Corps Panel in the ISL Lounge.  The discussion will be led by a current
Peace Corp member, and a future Peace Corps member.  Free cheesecake and tea
from Infusia!  We'll try to keep some for the tea talk, but no guarantees.
Better get there early!
6:30pm-7:30pm - We need 2-5 volunteers for set up and clean up of tea talk
in the ISL Lounge.  The discussion will be about fun things to do in Georgia
and the Southeast.  Free snacks and tea from Infusia!
7:30pm-10:00pm - We will be showing a movie called "Amelie" in the Student
Learning Center, room 102, and need someone to be sure to pop in the tape.

Thursday, November 20th, 2003 - The Americas
4:15pm-5:45pm - We need 2-5 volunteers for set up and clean up of tea talk
in the ISL Lounge.  The discussion will be about the Americas.  Free
authentic snacks from ISL staff and students, and tea from Infusia!
5:30pm - Global Friends: We need a volunteer to meet students at the bulldog
statue at Memorial so that a van can pick them up and bring them to our
Thanksgiving Dinner.  Transportation and a free dinner provided!  Sign up if
you are a Global Friend!
7:45pm-10:00pm - We will be showing a movie called "Remember the Titans" in
the Student Learning Center, room 102, and need someone to be sure to pop in
the tape.

Friday, November 21st, 2003 - Asia & Australia
9:00am-2:30pm - Set-up, clean-up, and general help for coffee hour.  We are
adding a ton of fun stuff to this coffee hour, so we need about 15
volunteers who can come for random times throughout.  We will have an art
exhibit, an ornament-making workshop, and much more.   Please email me with
an exact time you can sign up for.
4:45pm-7:00pm - We need 2-5 volunteers for set up and clean up of tea talk
in the ISL Lounge.  We will be showing an Australian movie called "Strictly
Ballroom."  Free authentic snacks from ISL students, and tea from Infusia!
7:00pm-9:00pm - We're showing an additional movie in the lounge (a movie
from India's "Bollywood,") and need someone to be sure to be there to play
it, watch it, rewind it, and take care of the tape until the following week.

3.  Muslims around the world are celebrating the month of
Ramadhan during which they fast from food, water, and
temptation from sunrise to sunset.

In an effort to shed light on the struggle with hunger
around the world, the Muslim Students Association at the
University of Georgia is hosting a campus-wide Fast-A-Thon
on November 13, 2003.

For every non-Muslim student that fasts on that day,
recruited businesses will donate money to Athens' Salvation
Army Soup Kitchen.  At the end of the day, all fasters will
break their fast in Brumby Hall's Rotunda at 5.30pm with dinner
provided by the local mosque.

If you would like to pledge to fast, please sign up at our
table on Tate Plaza from Nov. 5 through Nov. 7 from 11am to
2pm.  Or email us at [log in to unmask]

-Muslim Students Association @ UGA

4.  Coffee Hour!  Sponsored by Brumby and the Hispanic Student Association.
Meet the world and experience global awareness of the rest of the world over
food and drink.  Coffee hosted by Jittery Joe's Roasting Company. Friday,
November 7, 2003 from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM. Memorial Hall
Ballroom. Contact: 542-5867 or [log in to unmask] .

5.  International Education Week (IEW) 2003.  Join International Student
Life as we host a number of events each day during IEW 2003, November 17 -
21!  Each day, ISL will host a Tea Talk (global discussion) and a free
international movie!  Additionally, special events throughout the week will
include a rematch of the two finalist teams from the UGA World Cup, our
on-campus international festival called "Around the World in Tatey Days", a
Global Friends Thanksgiving Dinner and an artist's showcase during Coffee
Hour on November 21!  (These events are free for UGA students as well.)
Contact ISL for a full schedule of events or to find out more information at
542-5867.

6.  ISL will host our annual Thanksgiving Dinner for International Students
on November 24, 2003 at Milledge Avenue Baptist Church from 6:00 pm - 8:00
pm.  Come enjoy a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner with all the
dressings with us.  You are welcome to bring your family.  Please contact
ISL at 542-5867 by November 10 to reserve your space.  The dinner is FREE
but you MUST call ISL to reserve
a seat!

7.  December 2003 Graduates, time is drawing near! You are invited to
participate in the International Student Life Graduation Ceremony.  The
Ceremony will be held on Friday,  December 19, 2003 at 3:00 p.m in Room 305
(the Gallery) of the Student Tate Center.  Participation in the ceremony is
free.  Call the
ISL office at 542-5867 to sign up.  Your family members and friends are also
welcome.

8.  Adorn your graduation robe at the ISL graduation ceremony with a
beautiful international satin sash, elegantly designed with your country
flag and colors.  Go by the display case in the Tate Student Center lobby to
view sashes from China, India and Korea, others countries are available.
Orders must be received by Friday, November 7, 2003, for December graduates.
Contact ISL for prices and to view pictures, 210 Memorial Hall 542-5867.
(For an additional fee you can also have the University of Georgia on the
other side of your sash, see ISL staff for information.)  Order your Sash
today!

9.  The following is a message from Allison Krache, the ISL Global Friends
Coordinator for 2003-2004:

Hi, ISL people!  Remember that ISL/UGA Holiday Tree that Global Friends is
creating?  It will be on display in downtown Atlanta, at the Festival of
Trees at the Georgia World Congress Center the first week in December.

However... we need ornaments made...

I am planning on going THIS week to buy materials for the making of the
ornaments.  Please email me by THIS Wednesday night (Nov. 5) the materials
that you'd
need to make your ornament.  Remember: if we can stay away from it, let's
not just do construction paper and marker ornaments - let's give people a
reason to want to buy this tree.  :)

Please be as specific as possible when you email Allison your needs.

Please pass this along during your organizational meetings, get them
involved.  We don't need just one ornament from each country - we need many!

Even if you don't have a specific organization from your native country, we
would incredibly appreciate your input!

Mark your calendar: November 14th.  You want to be at ISL that afternoon.
Specific times will be announced in the near future.
Why do you want to be there, you ask?  Because there will be an Ornament
Workshop.  I'll have the materials there you need to make your ornament, and
there will be free food to thank you for your hard work.  :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Allison Krache  [log in to unmask]

Other Notices
================

1.  Celebrate International Education Week by attending UGA's International
Education Week Celebration on Monday, November 17th from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
in Georgia Hall of the Tate Student Center. The Celebration includes an
international feast, entertainment, silent auction, and photo contest awards
presentation. Tickets are now available at the Tate Center Cashier Window
and are $5 for UGA students (with a valid UGA ID), $8 for non-UGA students,
$3 for children 6-12, and free for children under 6. Tickets will also be
available at the door but we encourage you to buy your tickets in advance!
*A feature of the silent auction will be at least one round-trip air
ticket.*

> This international event is co-sponsored by the Office of International
Education, Office of International Student Life, Office of International
Public Service and Outreach, and Office of International Activities in the
College of Education.  Contact:  Deborah A. Faucher 542-7903.

2.November 5, 2003

PRESS RELEASE

Hello!

Hope you are doing well. We'll meet again on Monday,
November 17, 2003 from 7 to 10 pm at the same place:
Family and Graduate Housing Community Room.

Tentative agenda/pointers:-

* Announcement: Fourth NSAI/CMT Song Contest deadline
is November 29, 2003. Lucrative prizes, including live
appearance on CMT. For details, check out the
official NSAI website: www.nashvillesongwriters.com.
* Yet another stimulating songwriting lesson/exercise
-- will be fun again, in a different way!
* Time permitting, a current hit song analysis.
* Song evaluations -- NSAI / pro-style. Bring your
instrument and play live or bring your song on a
tape/CD (tape preferred) and at least 10 copies of
lyric sheet.
* If you are still interested in donating clothing
material or canned food or something for the
kids at Athens Shelter for the Homeless, please bring
them in.
* Please consider donating blood at this period of
crisis. PLEASE!

Event: Nashville Songwriters Association International
       (NSAI) -- Athens, GA chapter regional workshop
       monthly meeting for November 2003
Date: Monday, November 17, 2003
Time: 7 - 10 pm
Venue: Community Room, Family and Graduate Housing
       Office Building, 710 East Campus Road, Athens,
       GA 30605
Cover: FREE if it is your first or second visit,
       $10.00 thereafter, or FREE ALWAYS if you are a
       member of NSAI -- ANY DONATIONS WILL BE
       APPRECIATED!!!
Contact (chapter info): Ban (706) 583-8519 (h) /
                            (706) 542-0856 (w)
NSAI (at-large) info: www.nashvillesongwriters.com
International Student Life
University of Georgia
210 Memorial Hall
Athens, Georgia 30602-3108

706-542-5867

Leigh Poole, Coordinator
Ana Bonfante, International Student Advisor
Jackie Minus, Administrative Assistant
Jeongyi Lee, Graduate Assistant