]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SHOREBIRDS Home

SHOREBIRDS  July 2005

SHOREBIRDS July 2005

Big Piping Plover Day on Little St. Simons Island, Georgia

"Brandon L. Noel" <[log in to unmask]>

Brandon L. Noel

Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:33:03 -0400

text/plain

Hello all,
    Today (21 July 2005) was the first big day of PIPL numbers here on
Little St. Simons Island, Georgia.  They first started arriving on 10 July
2005, but I had not counted more than 5 or 6 during one survey of the entire
Island (which is only about 11 km).  Well earlier this evening/today the
tide was coming in high due to the full moon, and tons of birds were
roosting at Bass Creek (place where multiple species roost).
    Fall migration for shorebirds is officially underway, but I had at least
27 Piping Plovers just in this small area (approximately 1 km), which it was
difficult to gauge, because all the birds were very jumpy causing the PIPL's
to jump as well.  Of the 27, 8 were banded and 7 were definite Great Lakes
birds, but there was one plover that I have no idea where he/she is from and
if anyone knows, please let me know.  Here is the band combination:

Left:  Light blue over Yellow lower Right: Green Flag (this is what puzzles
me as I know nothing about green flags on Piping Plovers) above, and Black
over Black lower.
(-,bY,Gf,LL) shorthand band combo

    There were a total of 31 Piping Plovers seen on the Island, and I
surveyed again at low tide on 22 July 2005, resulting in 31 Piping Plovers
again and 9 confirmed birds from the Great Lakes, 1 from the Great Plains,
and with the aforementioned bird, totaling 11 bands.

    Other birds have shown up in huge numbers, as I didn't get to count any
since I am doing research on Piping Plovers, but highlights of other birds I
saw were A LOT of Western and Least Sandpipers, easily 75 Marbled Godwits,
at least 10 Whimbrels, 10 Reddish Egrets, at least 3 Long-billed Curlews,
approximately 500 Least Terns, 100 Black Terns, 200 Black Skimmers, 10
Gull-billed Terns, 500 Red Knots, 1000 Dowitcher sp., 250 Sanderlings, 1
Dunlin (probably a few more, but saw at least 1), 20 American
Oystercatchers, 200 Semipalmated Plovers, 70 Wilson's Plovers, 100
Black-bellied Plovers, immature Lesser and Great Black-backed Gull, and
throw in at least 8 Roseate Spoonbills seen earlier in the morning (21 July
2005) while surveying for sea turtles.  It will be exciting to see the
beaches here in August as migration will be at it's peak.  Take care
everyone!

Brandon L. Noel
Little St. Simons Island, Glynn County, SE Georgia (mouth of Altamaha River)
http://www.bio.georgiasouthern.edu/bio-home/Chandler/chandler.html#graduates