]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SPSSX-L Home

SPSSX-L  September 2005

SPSSX-L September 2005

repost chi-squared goodness of fit test SPSS 12

Gabor Toth <[log in to unmask]>

Gabor Toth <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Sep 2005 02:54:35 -0400

text/plain

Yesterday I posted a help message and I got some answers...Thank you!
...but it was not enough for me to do what I need. Here is the problem
again with a longer explanation. Please give help me with it. I am an
absolute newby, I've never done any statistics before, I have the SPSS
12.0 installed in my PC.
If somebody can send me a syntax for each cases is would be a great help
(I think). Or if somebody could explain how to do it with the SPSS in the
way you teach it to a 10 years old :-). Sorry for that...

The data is related to speech instructors communication behaviour with
disabled people.
I observed 30 instructors for 6 month during their teaching sessions. I
observed one instructor at a time for an average of 7.5 minutes (each of
them 29 times, so it is all together about 109 hours observation time) and
recorded their interpersonal interventions (type of behaviour). I made a
six-category table (6 column) to collect their behaviour into these six
categories and 30 row for the 30 instructors. I marked the usage frequency
of each type of category during the observation into the adequate cell.
Now I have the data table (see below) with usage-frequency numbers of how
many time each instructor used each category (in my opinion as an
observer) during the 6 month.
From this data I made a usage-frequency order (or rank list) to make a
rank order from 1-6 to show which category from the 6 was the "most"  and
which is the "least" utilized.

What I need to do is:
1) To test whether the distribution of behaviour of one instructor or all
instructors taken together (the Total row below in the table) is governed
by a given distribution (a multinomial one, for example, or that all
possible outcomes have the same probability of occurence).The null
hypothesis is that "the probabilities of occurence of all categories are
equal"
2) To test whether the distribution of one instructor is different from
the distribution of behaviour of a second instructor, or, in the general
case, whether (in the group of 30 instructors) there are differences at
all (i.e. there are at least two instructors behaving differently).
Yesterday I got an answer that this second case (differences between
instructors) uses chi-squares in crosstabs command and is slightly more
complicated than the first one.

For example from the raw data:
The first instructor has been observed 522 times to behave in the
prescriptive way and the second one was 202 times confrontative.

Here is the raw data:

VARIABLE ID
ID = Participant ID (N = 30)
pres = Prescriptive category