]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SHOREBIRDS Home

SHOREBIRDS  June 2006

SHOREBIRDS June 2006

Fwd: Re: [WestPalBirds] Pectoral Sandpipier - odd behaviour?

Cyril Schönbächler <[log in to unmask]>

Cyril Schönbächler <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:24:40 +0200

text/plain

more about it

To: "WPB" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Julian Bell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:22:03 +0200
Subject: [WestPalBirds] Pectoral Sandpipier - odd behaviour?

Today, 22 June, a male Pectoral Sandpiper, calidris melanotos, turned up on
my local patch. This is unusual enough being only around the fourth
"county" record. However, its behaviour was perhaps even more interesting -
it was very vocal and then joined a couple of Common Snipe in a display
flight and was very aggressive towards them - actively pursuing first one
then the other.

Have others experienced such behaviour in Europe?

Pictures, along with a short movie can be found here:
http://www.naturalbornbirder.com/gallery/pec_sand.php

Best regards

Julian Bell