Biotechnology Workshop

Blane Marable <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Oct 2007 00:53:07 -0400

text/plain

The following email is from Stay Byrd from Fernbank Science Center:

Hi everyone!  I wanted to share a learning opportunity that I thought
some of you might find useful.   Next Saturday (November 3rd), we are
hosting a Biotechnology workshop for high school teachers (and
teachers-in-training) at Fernbank Science Center in Atlanta.  Fernbank
is conducting the workshop for Georgia Public Broadcasting to assist
them in producing educational materials related to an up-coming 5 part
series called "The DNA Files".   The workshop will be videotaped by
GPB and later made available for classroom viewing.  You can see a
brief description of this partnership at
http://www.dnafiles.org/outreach.   The two main sessions might be of
particular interest to you.  The first one is related to animal
genetics and behavior.   Our staff ornithologist will be demonstrating
how to capture birds in a mist net and collect blood samples for a
gene database.   The other session is one that I will be conducting on
transgenic plants.  We will discuss the technology behind genetic
modification as well as the status of genetically modified foods.  The
related lab activity will be a simple screening test to determine if
various corn leaf and grain tissue samples are from plants that have
been modified to express the Bt toxin.

The workshop will run from 9 am to 2 pm at the Science Center (see
directions at http://fsc.fernbank.edu/ ).  There is no charge to
attend but you need to register in advance.   I am trying to find out
if lunch is being provided (probably is).  I realize this is last
minute and difficult if you live very far from Atlanta but I think you
will pick up some useful new knowledge that you can transfer to your
students.  If you have more questions or would like to register,
please contact me directly.   I would really love to see some of my ag
ed friends next Saturday!

Stacy Byrd
(404)966-0148