Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CILIATEMOLBIO-L Home

CILIATEMOLBIO-L  October 2008

CILIATEMOLBIO-L October 2008

Update on the Tetrahymena Stock Center

Donna Cassidy-Hanley <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:46:02 -0400

text/plain

To the Tetrahymena community,

 Since 2006, the Tetrahymena Stock Center at Cornell has supplied T. thermophila strains to
> 60 different labs in 15 countries worldwide (for our current list of clients see Table 1 below). As
part of our effort to update the community on the activities of the Center, we are excited to share
with you the resources now available and ask for your feedback on additional services you would
like to see. Please send us any ideas, suggestions for additions, links, protocols, etc or give us a
call. We want to hear from you.

 At present, more than 700 strains are available for order through the Center’s website
(http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/ ).  The site provides information about strains as well as
mechanisms for placing orders and making deposits.  The site currently includes the following:

• A downloadable pdf listing of all of the strains currently available through the Stock Center,
accessible at http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/strains.html. A brief tutorial on searching the
strain pdf can be found at http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/searching.html.
• A semi-automated ordering form that can be emailed directly to the Stock Center
(http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/extras/TetrahymenaOrderForm.pdf).
• A Strain deposition form for use with small numbers of strains
(http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/extras/TetrahymenaDonorForm.pdf ). For large scale
deposits, a downloadable Excel file with all of the required field variables already inserted can be
found at (http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/extras/DonorFieldNames.xls ). Instructions for filling
out the forms and a description of the information requested in each field is also provided. For
those desiring more help or information, please contact us. We want to work with you to facilitate
the easy transfer of critical strains you want saved at the Stock Center.
• A simple glossary of known mutants which is being expanded as new strains are added
(http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/glossary.html ). If you have mutant strains which are not
listed, please let us know. We want to add your strain to our collection and to our glossary.
• A photo gallery of Tetrahymena images sent to us by various labs (thank you to all who sent
us images!). Please take a look and send us your pictures for inclusion in the gallery
(http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/ ).
• A list of links to other Tetrahymena sites (http://tetrahymena.vet.cornell.edu/otherlinks.html
). Please send us any additional links you think should be included.

 We are continuing to receive deposits from other laboratories and the number of strains
available through the resource is expected to increase dramatically over the next year.  A
competitive renewal for continued funding for the Center through the National Institutes of Health
Center for Research Resources (NCRR) is currently under review.  Our new proposal includes
support for maintenance and community annotation of the Tetrahymena Genome Database (TGD),
which we regard as essential to the community as a whole.

 Clearly, continued funding for the Tetrahymena Stock Center requires your continued interest
and support. Please use the Stock Center whenever you need to obtain cells or want to make your
strains available to the community. To save your time, and to help establish the Tetrahymena
Stock Center as a centralized resource for obtaining Tetrahymena cell lines, please refer any
inquiries you receive about obtaining stocks to us (contact us). We also want to stress that the
Stock Center is now accepting deposition of strains from all laboratories. Contact us to discuss
your specific needs.

 One final point – we are committed to supplying cells to all who need them, regardless of
ability to pay. However, the reality is that to survive we need to be able to shift at least some of
the cost of maintaining the Stock Center to users. We have kept our fees as low as possible.
Currently the Stock Center charges $30/strain, $150/mating panel, $10 FEDEX shipping in the
U.S. and “at cost” shipping outside the U.S. These costs will undoubtedly rise, especially in light of
the rapidly increasing cost of shipping. One simple way to insure that labs have the funds
necessary to obtain cells from the Stock Center is to include the costs of obtaining cells in funding
requests.  Therefore, please include the cost of obtaining cells from the Stock Center in your grant
proposal budgets as a way to insure that you have access to strains deposited in the Tetrahymena
Stock Center.

Best Regards,

Ted Clark

Donna Cassidy-Hanley

Table 1.
Principal Investigator              Location
Birgit Satir                  Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Todd Hennessey        University at Buffalo
Jacek Gaertig             University of Georgia
Eric S. Cole                St. Olaf College
Geoffrey Kapler        Texas A&M Health Science Center
Rebecca Zufall           University of Houston
Mark Winey                University of Colorado at Boulder
Kazufumi Mochizuki    IMBA - Institute Molecular Biotechnology GmbH
Yali Dou                      University of Michigan
Rees Kassen              University of Ottawa
Madan Chaturvedi      University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center
James Forney             Purdue University
Deanna Noyes           Dallas Baptist University
Emily Wiley                 Claremont College
Noam Cohen                 University of Pennsylvania
Fredrick Gimble         Purdue University
Christian Amblard CNRS/Universite Blaise Pascal
Eduardo Villalobo         Universidad de Sevilla
Cheng-Han Huang Lindsley F. Kimball Research Institute
Eduardo Orias         University of California, Santa Barbara
Osamu  Numata         University of Tsukuba
Akhil Vaidya                 Drexel University College of Medicine
Tokuko Haraguchi Kobe Advanced ICT Research Center
Hiroshi Endoh         Kanazawa University
Marsha Altschuler Williams College
George Byrd                 Ferrum College
Robert D'Amato         Children's Hospital Harvard University
Stephen Testa         University of Kentucky
Dennis Searcy         University of Massachusetts
Val Sheffield                 University of Iowa
Linda Hufnagel         University of Rhode Island
Clara Nudel                 Universidad de Buenos Aires
Douglas Chalker         Washington University in St. Louis
Nick Colegrave         University of Edinburgh
Oliver Blacque         UCD Conway Institute
Chand Pasha                 Nizam College, Osmania University
Diego Bonatto         Universidade de Caxias do Sul/Instituto de Biotecnologia
Claire Cupples         University of Victoria
Kentaro Nakano         University of Tsukuba
Christina King Smith Saint Joseph's University
Mark Pagani                 Yale University
Nikolai Zvonok         Northeastern University
Ronald E. Pearlman York University
Asad Ud-Daula         GSF-National Research Center for Environment and Health, GmbH
Doris Bachtrog         University of California San Diego
Kathy Collins          UC Berkeley
Muhittin Arslanyolu Anadolu University
Ray Gavin                 Brooklyn College
Ross Waller                 University of Melbourne
Claressa Lucas         Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Catherine S. McVay Auburn University
Gregory Hannon         Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Carolyn Price                 Universitiy of Cincinnati
Takashi Ishikawa         Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Meng-Chao Yao         Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinicia
Nicholas Stover         Bradley University
Donald Weeks         University of Nebraska
Arno Tiedtke                 Inst. Allgemeine Zoologie & Genetik
Isabel Gordo                 Institute Gulbenkian da Ciencia
Chris Yost                 University of Regina
John Addis                 Carroll College
Andrzej Kaczanowski University of Warsaw
Daniela Nicastro         Brandeis University