]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

AGED-L Home

AGED-L  April 2009

AGED-L April 2009

VIDEO WORKSHEET AVAILABLE - RIPE FOR CHANGE

Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>

Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Apr 2009 23:16:49 -0400

text/plain

Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Ripe for Change  (2005) – Although this documentary focuses on
agriculture in California – the topics covered affect us all.  Topics
covered in the 1 hour film include: sustainable agriculture, organic
agriculture, conventional agriculture, local agriculture, farmer’s
markets, fossil fuels and agriculture, GMOs, seasonal cuisine,
pesticides, and the politics of agriculture.

Reviews from Amazon.com
“This fascinating documentary explores the intersection of food and
politics in California over the last 30 years. It illuminates the
complex forces struggling for control of the future of California's
agriculture, and provides provocative commentary by a wide array of
eloquent farmers, prominent chefs, and noted authors and scientists. The
film examines a host of thorny questions: What are the trade-offs
between the ability to produce large quantities of food versus the
health of workers, consumers, and the planet? What are the hidden costs
of "inexpensive" food? How do we create sustainable agricultural
practices? Through the "window" of food and agriculture, Ripe for Change
reveals two parallel yet contrasting views of our world. One holds that
large-scale agriculture, genetic engineering, and technology promise a
hunger-less future. The other calls for a more organic, sustainable, and
locally focused style of farming that reclaims the aesthetic and
nurturing qualities of food and considers the impact of agriculture on
the environment, on communities, and on workers. Ripe for Change was
directed by award-winning filmmaker Emiko Omori.”

You may purchase a DVD of Ripe for Change  through Amazon.com.  It is $
24.95.  Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Ripe-Change-Emiko-Omori/dp/B000KDYY7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1239592337&sr=1-1

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest
City Farmers
Gimme Green
Guns, Germs, and Steel