Video worksheet available : HOME

Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Sep 2009 16:24:52 -0400

text/plain

Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

HOME  (2009) – I picked up this stunningly beautiful video at a Whole
Foods store over the summer.  It is breathtakingly photographed, with a
strong environmental emphasis.  It is, however, quite lengthy.  At
nearly 2 hours, it is hard to use in the classroom.  At first, I was not
sure it the movie was really suitable for agriculture, but the more I
watched, the more that I thought it was probably perfect for the
agriculture classroom.  Topics covered include – early development of
the earth, atmosphere, animals and plants – development of agriculture
and civilizations – change from man and animal-powered agriculture to
oil-powered machinery, deforestation, erosion, and soil depletion,
global warming, industrial agriculture, importance of water, wetlands,
value of trees, over fishing the oceans, social inequality, carbon, and
finally, a more positive look towards the end.  Even if you can’t use
this one in your classroom (or you might just use a part of it), it is
worth a look – especially if you have a widescreen TV!

Description Amazon.com

“Former actor Yann Arthus-Bertrand directed this visually astonishing
portrait of the Earth as seen from mesmerizing aerial views. Narrated by
actress Glenn Close, HOME begins by exploring and clarifying the natural
history of water, sunlight, and the role simple life-forms such as algae
played (and still play) in making the planet hospitable to more evolved,
living things. As the film moves along, it also has a way of rebooting
one's lazy assumptions about familiar phenomena. The Grand Canyon, for
example, might be a fantastic sight to behold, but it's also a
collection of billions and billions of shells compressed under Earth's
oceans long ago. The carbon trapped in the Grand Canyon was drained from
the atmosphere, helping--once again--oxygen-dependent life to develop.

Similarly, plant life, Home tells us, broke up the water molecule and
released oxygen into the atmosphere. Everything is linked, everything is
part of a grand machine--the film makes this clear in scores of ways,
and not just by telling us. Of course, a big part of the story is the
impact short-sighted humans have on these systems: the way we overfish,
or drain deserts of scarce fossil water, or turn non-farming lands into
perverse engines for agriculture. There is much to be alarmed at
watching Home, but there is much to move one as well.”

Reviews from Amazon.com

“This dvd is beautiful and fabulous...long, but great...should be shown
in high schools,”

“I was... Blown away watching this film. Visual presentation is simply
stunning. It starts as if we are looking into an earth's diary. All of
the facts of our planet is shown. After 20 minutes or so, the depressing
facts are presented. It is very educational. Truly a must see film for
all mankind, to save our planet.
Earth is our only home that we live. If we do not take care of it,
mankind will be destroyed sooner or later.”

“This is a magnificent production. The photography is stunning, the
music enjoyably fitting and the narrator's voice smooth and clear. The
story is informative, sad and scary.  Yes, this production conveys the
message that the current economic model of consumption is not conducive
to long-term survival (in the manner to
which we have become accustomed)
where a secure supply of uncshelter/clothing are a given.  Sometimes "a picture is worth a thousand
words".

You may purchase a DVD of HOME through Amazon.com.  It is $ 14.99.  Here
is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Glenn-Close/dp/B0026OE2NY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1252181257&sr=1-1

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Fertilizer – Modern Marvels
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Modern Marvels – Fertilizers
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)
The Amazing Story of Kudzu

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School