]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

AGED-NORTH Home

AGED-NORTH  September 2009

AGED-NORTH September 2009

Area I and Area II Wildlife CDE - today and next Tuesday

Blane Marable <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:34:15 -0400

text/plain

Teachers, important information on the Wildlife CDE is below.  Read it
all if you are competing.

The Area II Wildlife CDE is today.  The Area I Wildlife CDE is next
Tuesday, Sept. 29.   We will be ready for your team to compete
starting at 4 pm.  Please plan to arrive before 5 pm.   As you arrive,
you will register and then we will divide your team into 4 groups and
they can go ahead and compete.  One hour is the max time at the
station, so you should be in and out in an hour.  Results will be
announced the next day on the North Region listserv.  So after your 4
students finish with their individual practicum, then you may leave.
In case of rain, the event will be conducted under shelter.

Students should bring a clip board and pen or pencil.  Binoculars can
be used in the Deer Management event - if you bring one.

Directions can be found below.  UGA Forestry and Wildlife students
will be available to discuss possible careers in forestry and
wildlife.  Tell your students to speak with them.

Make sure your Deer Management student knows how to properly write the
scores of the jaw bones and the antlers.  More information can be
found on the tips that were send out before and also included at the
bottom of this email.  To recap,

Jawbones are aged as 6 months, 1  years, 2  years, 3  years, and 4  plus
Any deer 4  years or older will be identified as 4  plus.  If your
student writes 2 years - it is wrong.  It must be written as  2
years.

Antler estimation will be scored in 10 class only. Antler score is the
gross score  no deductions.  If an antler scores 117, the student
should identify it as a 110 class deer.
If an antler scores 121, the student should identify it as a 120 class
deer.  If the student marks 121 then it is wrong and will receive no
points.  It must be written in the 10 class such as 110 or 120.
Please make sure you student knows this to keep from scoring a zero in
this event.

Thanks and see you soon.  Below is the previous two emails sent out to
the listserv with more information.

Teachers,

This year we will host both an Area I and an Area II FFA Wildlife Mgt CDE.
Area I will be held Tuesday, September 29 at Sonoraville High School.
Area II will be held Tuesday, September 22 at Whitehall Forest at
Flinchum's Phoenix near the UGA Animal Science Arena.  Check here for
directions: http://www.forestry.uga.edu/about/directions.php

Both events will start with registration from 4:00 - 5:00 pm and the
event will start at 5 pm. Team which arrive as early as 4 pm may go
ahead and compete.

The event underwent a few changes; please download the most recent
rules and score sheets at www.gaaged.org. The CDE format is below:

 General:

There will be both a Senior and Junior Divisions

Top three teams from each division will advance to the state
competition - Nov. 5- at Swainsboro.

Four members to a team - all four scores count

Each team member will compete in only one practicum area

Will not have a Team Activity on the Area Level

Practicum Requirements:

White Tail Deer:

-Jawbone Aging

-Ocular Antler Estimation

-Deer Mgt Exam

Wild Turkey:

-Identify Calls

-Identification/Questions

General Wildlife ID:

-Identify species, plants, and equipment

Boating Regulations / Aquatic ID

-Boating Regulation Exam

-Identify Aquatic species, plants, equipment

 Here are some general tips for the Wildlife Mgt CDE

Please read all rules.

Whitetail Deer Mgt:

1.       Study resource manual from DNR: Deer Hard Management for
Georgia Hunters: Harvest & Habitat Guidelines.

2.       Jawbones are aged as 6 months, 1  years, 2  years, 3
years, and 4  plus

a.       Any deer 4  years or older will be identified as 4  plus

3.       Antler estimation will be scored in 10 class.

a.       Antler score is the gross score  no deductions

b.      If an antler scores 117, the student should identify it as a
110 class deer.

c.       If an antler scores 121, the student should identify it as a
120 class deer.

Wild Turkey Mgt:

1.       Turkey Calls: Visit www.nwtf.org to listen to turkey calls

a.       Students will have a word bank

2.       Have students study bulletins and web pages from www.nwtf.org

General ID:

1.       Have students develop PowerPoints with photos of items.

2.       Use local resource people.

3.       Students will have a word bank.

Boating / Aquatic:

4.       Have students study material from: http://boat-ed.com/ga/handbook/

--
Blane Marable