]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

AGED-L Home

AGED-L  October 2009

AGED-L October 2009

FARMING TECHNOLOGY - MODERN MARVELS: worksheet available

Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>

Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 Oct 2009 12:50:36 -0400

text/plain

Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Farming Technology – Modern Marvels (2002) – This episode of Modern
Marvels follows the story of a farming family over the course of a year.
 During the agricultural year, topics included are: importance of
agriculture to America; history of the plow; importance of the gasoline
engine; changes in farm populations; history of planting – seed drills;
development of modern fertilizers; the Green Revolution; improvements in
seeds, hybrids and GM crops; agricultural pesticides and herbicides;
plant patents; conventional and organic agriculture; history of
harvesting tools, reapers, threshers, combines; crop storage; GPS and
precision agriculture.

Description Amazon.com

“The U.S. agricultural process, from seed to shelf, is so efficient that
most people don't think much about it. But food growing and processing
is ever more sophisticated, employing computer-guided, ground-shaking
machinery, and sometimes controversial techniques. It's an industry of
declining family farms, diminishing returns, yet higher yields. We
review the evolution of the tools used to produce food, show the steps
in the cycle that brings food to the table, and look at the future of
farming.”

Description from the History Channel

“From the field to the table, FARMING TECHNOLOGY follows the journey of
food produced on a modern, "big ag" farm to illustrate how far farming
has come from its traditional roots. From the controversial use--but
undeniable impact--of genetically engineered seeds to the $100,000
machines that can do more work in a day than an army of workers could
accomplish in a week, MODERN MARVELS examines the technological tools
that have propelled the industry to a crossroads of declining returns,
higher yields and the demise of family farms.”

You may purchase a DVD of Farming Technology – Modern Marvels through
the History Channel.  It is $ 24.95.  Here is a link:
http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=68423- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Fertilizer – Modern Marvels
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
Harvesting – Modern Marvels
Harvesting 2 – Modern Marvels
HOME                    (Global, environmental film)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Mold and Fungus – Modern Marvels
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)
The Amazing Story of Kudzu
Water – The Drop of Life – Farms and Factories

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School
named recipient(s) only.