]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

AGED-L Home

AGED-L  October 2009

AGED-L October 2009

Video worksheet available: HARVESTING - MODERN MARVELS

Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>

Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:18:05 -0400

text/plain

Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Harvesting – Modern Marvels (2004) This video shows the latest in
harvesting technology, as well as the history of the harvest for: wheat,
cotton, rice, sugar beets, processed tomatoes, walnuts, olives, lettuce,
grapes/raisins, and oranges

Additional topics included are: precision agriculture, gricultural
ergonomics, Mexican labor and the Braceros, robotic harvesters, GPS,
sensing technology, and the electronic nose.

Description The History Channel:

“Trace the development of the massive machines that have transformed a
season's labor into the work of mere hours.
•     A fascinating look at the mega-machines that have remade
American agriculture.
•     Head onto the factory floor to see how they are made
•     See why some jobs remain beyond the capabilities of even the
latest equipment.

Cutting, digging, picking, stripping, shaking and raking--whatever the
crop, there's a custom machine to harvest it. It all began with hand
picking, but today it's often one man and one machine harvesting
hundreds of acres in a matter of hours.
From Ancient Egypt to automated ""squeezers,"" ""shakers"" and electric
eyes, MODERN MARVELS® follows the never-ending advancement of mankind's
methods for transferring crops from the field to the table. Go on the
factory floor as modern mega-machines are assembled and see how 21st
technology is helping ease the delicate jobs that must still be done by
hand. Farmers detail the advances that have transformed their lives and
jobs, and engineers offer a sneak peak at the next generation of
HARVESTING technology.”

You may purchase a DVD of Harvesting – Modern Marvels  through The
History Channel.  It is $ 24.95.  Here is a link:
http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=68613&v=All

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Fertilizer – Modern Marvels
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
HOME                    (Global, environmental film)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Modern Marvels – Fertilizers
Mold and Fungus – Modern Marvels
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)
The Amazing Story of Kudzu
Water – The Drop of Life – Farms and Factories

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School
named recipient(s) only.