]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SISA-L Home

SISA-L  December 2009

SISA-L December 2009

Students Interested in Study Abroad at UGA

"Lila R. Grisar" <[log in to unmask]>

Lila R. Grisar

Wed, 9 Dec 2009 01:31:47 -0500

text/plain

Dear Students Interested in Study Abroad:

Thanks for reading this week’s Study Abroad list serve message!

Remember to visit our website to see this year’s winners of the 2009 International Photo & Video Contest. The winners were announced at Coffee Hour on November 20th and their work is now posted on our website: http://www.uga.edu/oie/pc_contest.htm

Read on for this, and other important announcements. Instructions for UNSUBSCRIBING yourself from this listserv are at the bottom of every SISA announcement.

Join us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Athens-GA/University-of-Georgia-Study-Abroad/55631297668?v=info

In this week’s message…

STUDY, WORK & TRAVEL ABROAD INFO:
1. Attention Fall 2009 Study Abroad Participants--Your Feedback Is Needed!
2. This Week’s UGA-Exchange Program Spotlight: Vienna University of Economics & Business Administration
3.  Search for a UGA Study Abroad or Exchange Program
4. Walk-in Advising in Memorial Hall: every Tuesday & Friday afternoon
5. Study Abroad ‘Options Abroad’ Info Sessions, offered 3 days a week

STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS:
6. 2009 Student Diplomat Video Contest-Win $300! Deadline 12/15
7.  $300 scholarship for all students accepted to UGA’s Summer Thai Sustainable Service-Learning Program.
8. Boren Awards for International Study, Campus Deadline 1/11/2010
9. Sara’s Wish Scholarship Fund, Preliminary Applications due 10/09 - 1/10
10. Zeta Phi Beta Deborah Partridge Wolfe International Fellowship: Accepting applications now through Feb 1, 2010.

INTERNATIONAL HAPPENINGS AROUND UGA:
11. 2009 International Photo & Video Contest Winners Announced!
12. Unsubscribe yourself from SISA-L

STUDY, WORK, & TRAVEL ABROAD INFO:

1. Attention Fall 2009 Study Abroad Participants--Your Feedback Is Needed!

Hello from the Director of Study Abroad at UGA. Just a reminder to fall study abroad participants - we would love to hear your feedback on your program, the good and the bad.  If you went on a UGA faculty-led group, you are probably filling out an evaluation with the group, but you are welcome to do the form below as well.  If you went on an exchange or external program, we'd especially love to hear from you on this form as it is our primary means of learning more about your experience:

http://www.uga.edu/oie/sa_re_eva.htm

Thanks, and hope you had a great experience abroad!

--
Dr. Kasee Clifton Laster
Director of Study Abroad

Office of International Education
Bank of America, third floor
110 E. Clayton Street
Athens, Georgia  30602

Phone:  706-425-3275
Fax:            706-425-3315
Physical location: corner of Clayton and Lumpkin, downtown
Web location: www.uga.edu/oie

2. This Week’s UGA-Exchange Program Spotlight: Vienna University of Economics & Business Administration

UGA - Vienna Univ of Economics & Bus Admin Program Information:  https://www.oie.uga.edu/ViewProgram/2756

Here's a great opportunity for business and international relations students to study abroad in Vienna, Austria for Fall 2010, Spring 2011 or the Full 2010-11 Academic Year as an exchange student at the Vienna University of Economics & Business Administration.  There is no language requirement, however, a Business German language class is available at WU-Vienna at multiple levels.

"WU-Vienna provides an excellent opportunity for over 24,000 students to live and study in the heart of Europe in one of the world‘s most beautiful cities. Vienna,a city perfectly balanced between tradition and the cutting edge, is sure to provide you with numerous opportunities to continue your education both in and outside the classroom.  Currently, one out of every four WU students is from outside Austria, and about 750 more come to WU each year as exchange students from all over the world." (http://www.wu.ac.at/structure/en/about/publications/studyinternational.pdf)

-- Subject Areas include: Business, Business Law, Economics and Trade Management, Finance, Investment and Accounting, Human Resources and Organizational Behavior, International Business, Management, MIS, Marketing, Regional and European Studies.

--Host University Exchange Info: http://www.wu.ac.at/io/en/incomings/exchange

--See WU-Vienna Courses Available at at: http://www.wu.ac.at/io/en/incomings/exchange/courses

--Courses in English:  http://www.wu.ac.at/io/en/incomings/exchange/courses/coursesinenglish

--Course outlines:  http://www.wu.ac.at/io/en/incomings/exchange/courses/coursesinenglish/courseoutlines/ws0910

--Dates of Program: Fall semester (September - December/Jan);  Spring Semester (February - early July)

--Cost: Students pay an Exchange Program Fee (currently $3865 for SP 2010) to cover in-state tuition at UGA; Housing Costs paid abroad in Austria.  Students may keep HOPE and other UGA/federal financial aid.

--Exchange Application Deadline: February 1, 2010 for Fall 2010 & full year; September 15 for Spring 2011

--FOR MORE INFORMATION & TO APPLY:  Contact the OIE Study Abroad Front Desk to schedule an exchange advising appointment or email Ms. Colleen Larson, Study Abroad Advisor, Office of International Education, Bank of America Building, 3rd Floor, 110 E. Clayton Street, [log in to unmask]
https://www.oie.uga.edu/ViewProgram/2756

3. Search for a UGA Study Abroad or Exchange Program

http://www.uga.edu/oie/sa_prog.htm

Have you checked out our searchable database of Study Abroad and Exchange opportunities for UGA students? Find a program according to destination, academic subject, time of travel, availability of scholarships, and many other preferences.

4.  Walk-in Advising with a Study Abroad Representative in Memorial Hall:

Are you interested in studying, working, or volunteering abroad? If so, you can stop by Memorial Hall on Tuesdays and Fridays between 1:30-5:00pm to meet with a study abroad representatives. No appointment is necessary these are walk-in sessions! The study abroad representatives will be in Memorial Hall, Room 233 (in the ICA Department suite). You can also schedule an appointment to meet with a study abroad advisor at their main location downtown at the Bank of America Building.

5. Study Abroad ‘Options Abroad’ Info Sessions, offered 3 days a week

In these 50-minute information sessions, a study abroad Advisor in the Office of Study Abroad will explain the basics of finding a study abroad program, using the resources in our study abroad library, the process of transferring credit from an external study abroad program, financial aid and scholarships for study abroad, health and insurance, basic travel information, information on working, volunteering, or interning abroad, and SISA, the study abroad listserv.

The sessions are held three times a week in 303 Bank of America Building, 110 E. Clayton St. Visit our website for more information. http://www.uga.edu/oie/sa_info_session.htm
Students must sign up in advance as space is limited.

STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS:

6. 2009 Student Diplomat Video Contest-Win $300! Deadline 12/15

Here’s a reminder that the 2009 Student Diplomat Video Contest deadline is coming up on December 15th at 11:59 p.m. EST. We've already seen some terrific videos, but we are looking forward to receiving even more contest submissions from current and recently returned study abroad students.

This is your opportunity to become the next Student Diplomat—and win $300—just by sharing a story about how their time abroad helped to advance global understanding.

Students' videos should focus on how their study abroad  experiences  have shaped them as global citizens, served as a bridge to cross-cultural understanding, promoted peace, and/or positively impacted the local communities in which they studied.

Complete contest guidelines and simple instructions on how to submit a video are available on NAFSA's website at http://www.nafsa.org/studentdiplomat .

Thank you for your participation!

Janice Mulholland, NAFSA: Association of International Educators

Sherry Schwarz
Director, Abroad View Foundation
PO Box 745
Bennington, VT 05201
802-442-4827
www.AbroadView.org
www.AbroadViewMagazine.com

7. $300 scholarship for all students accepted to UGA’s Summer Thai Sustainable Service-Learning Program.

Great news for those interested in this Summer’s interdisciplinary Thailand Summer Abroad. A program grant was just awarded to the program, allowing a reduction in the program fee for all students. The current program fee the six weeks is now $2200 per person!

For more information: http://www.uga.edu/thailand/ and  https://www.oie.uga.edu/ViewProgram/2525

8. Boren Awards for International Study, Campus Deadline 1/11/2010

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to add an important international and language component to their educations. Sponsored by the National Security Education Program (NSEP), the awards focus on geographic areas, languages, and fields of study that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad. Work obligation with Federal Government or in higher education after college; not for use in Western Europe or most English-speaking countries.

UGA Campus Application Deadline: January 11, 2010. Campus Interviews to take place after the initial campus review.

The application deadline for the Boren Fellowship for graduate students is January 28, 2010. The application deadline for the Boren Scholarship for undergraduate students is February 10, 2010.

Please see your campus representative for more information about your on-campus deadline. Contact: Jessica Hunt, Major Scholarship Coordinator, 215 Moore College, [log in to unmask]
http://www.borenawards.org/

9. The Sara's Wish Scholarship Fund, Preliminary Applications Due Oct 2009 thru January, 2010.

SARA'S WISH FOUNDATION was established to perpetuate the memory of Sara Christie Schewe. In 1996, Sara, a beautiful and loving young woman, was killed in a fatal bus crash in India along with three classmates while participating in the University of Pittsburgh's Semester at Sea Program.  Sara's Wish Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting Safe And Rewarding Adventures for students, emerged out of this Semester at Sea tragedy. This organization promotes education about travel safety guidelines.

A Legacy of Leadership, Service, and Adventure…The Mission of the Scholarship Fund is to perpetuate Sara's ideals by providing financial support for travel experiences for students who share Sara's zest for life, love of adventure, and zeal to excel.

Sara's Wish Foundation scholarships are awarded to extraordinary young women committed to making the world a better place by fully participating in it. Assistance has been offered to dozens of young women who exhibit qualities of leadership, service, and adventure. With our financial contributions, young women have defrayed the costs associated with traveling to all areas of the globe.  Ethiopia, Korea, the Philippines, Chile, Nepal, and South Africa are just a few examples. Our scholarship recipients perform a wide variety of remarkable public services in these distant lands, contributing to the welfare of our global village. Be sure to read more about them, as they truly offer inspiration and hope for our future.

Scholarship Application Information Criteria:
A commitment to public service
A strong record of scholarship
A history of leadership experience
A sincere interest in the work of Sara's Wish Foundation
A willingness to join with Sara's Wish Foundation in its ongoing efforts to improve safety awareness

Timeline: Scholarships are granted yearly according to the timeline below.

- Oct-Jan: Preliminary Applications reviewed as they are submitted.
- Nov-Feb: Candidates selected from the preliminary applications are asked to submit resumes, essays, and two letters of recommendation.
- Dec-March: Finalists are interviewed by telephone or in person by members of the scholarship committee.
- March: All scholarship winners are announced by the end of March.

Visit the Sara’s Wish Foundation website: http://www.saraswish.org/index.htm

10. Zeta Phi Beta Deborah Partridge Wolfe International Fellowship: Accepting applications now through Feb 1, 2010.

Available to graduate or undergraduate United States students studying abroad and/or graduate or undergraduate foreign students studying within. Awarded for full-time study for one academic year (Fall-Spring). Amount varies from $500 to $1,000 paid directly to recipient. Documented proof of academic study and plan of program must be sent to the Scholarship Chairperson with signature of school administrator or Program Director.

**** APPLICATION PROCEDURE ****
Copies of the scholarship application form may be accessed electronically via the following websites:  www.ZPBNEF1975.org or www.ZphiB1920.org

ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY:
Three letters of recommendation (from a College Professor or High School Teacher, a Minister or Community Leader, and Other); An official University/High School Transcript; An essay of 150 words or more. Include information about yourself, your educational goals and professional
aspirations. How can this award help you to achieve these goals? Why should you receive this award? Award recipients, only, will be notified, no later than August 15, of the Foundation's actions.

INTERNATIONAL HAPPENINGS AROUND UGA:

11. 2009 International Photo & Video Contest Winners Announced!

Our awards ceremony was a huge success with over 400 guests in attendance. Congrats to all our winners!

Thanks to our many judges, including Study Abroad Peer Advisors, International Education Staff, and judges from the community: local photographer Kelli Guinn-Olsson, http://www.kelliguinn.com and international conservation and anthropology scholar, Meredith Welch-Devine.

We are proud to share the list of this year’s contest winners. Be sure to visit our contest webpage, where the winning entries will be posted later this week. You can also view the winning photos from previous years’ competitions. http://www.uga.edu/oie/pc_contest.htm

Student Engagement Category:
- 1st Place, Kristy Jones, A Foot Race in Sir Lowrey’s Pass
- 2nd Place, Emily Goff, Perito Moreno Glacier
- 3rd Place, Jenah Zweig, Elephants Never Forget…And Neither Will I
- Honorable Mentions: Caitlyn Livingston, The Perfect Ending to a Perfect Day
    AND
Brett Cannon, Visitors Outside the Forbidden City

Creative Expression Category:
- 1st Place, Erin Riser, Paris Through My Eyes
- 2nd Place, Frances Ione Fabian, Camel in Old Sana’a
- 3rd Place, Sarah Pelham, Huangshan
- Honorable Mentions: Ashley Renee Norris, Framing the Artist
    AND
Bradley Wong, Long Bus Ride (****ALSO winner of the People’s Choice Award at Nov. 20th’s Awards Ceremony****)
    AND
Sara Victoria Pitt, The Road to Machu Piccu

Video Category:
1st Place, Kristin Espiau, Professional Development Training in Chile

View all this year’s 203 photo entries: http://judgingoiephotosuga.shutterfly.com/

View the 10 video submissions at: http://www.youtube.com/user/OIEPhotoContestUGA

Questions about the International Photo and Video Contest can be sent to Lila Grisar, Contest Coordinator, at: [log in to unmask]

- Visit the Listserv website at http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/sisa-l.html

- Select the option: “Join or leave the list (or change settings)”

- Type your name, the e-mail address you signed up with, and select “Leave the List” (if you have your e-mails forwarded, you must use the e-mail address you signed up with, not the final destination e-mail address).

- You will receive confirmation details automatically

Lila Grisar
Graduate Assistant
Office of Study Abroad
The University of Georgia

**Thank you for visiting the Study Abroad Office- We would enjoy feedback from you since your recent visit to our office. Please take a moment to fill out our online evaluation at this link: http://www.uga.edu/oie/sa_eva.html