Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CILIATEMOLBIO-L Home

CILIATEMOLBIO-L  July 2011

CILIATEMOLBIO-L July 2011

educational outreach - panel discussion

Donna Cassidy-Hanley <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:50:32 -0400

text/plain

Dear Members of the Ciliate listserv,

 Since many Tetrahymena researchers are also active in educational outreach, we would like to
share the following event with you and members of your outreach community. We also encourage
you to visit our website to see what we are doing with Tetrahymena in K – 12 classrooms.

PLEASE SHARE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT WITH ANY TEACHERS OR MEMBERS OF YOUR OUTREACH
COMMUNITY WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED

Biology and Society - Panel discussion - July 25th, 2011 at 5:45 PM

As part of our Summer Teacher Workshop series, the Cornell SEPA project (ASSET: Advancing
Secondary Science Education through Tetrahymena) is sponsoring a panel discussion on July 25th,
2011 at 5:45 PM, addressing the complex relationship between science, technology, and society.
Our panel will discuss the role of education in bridging the gap between science and society in a
democracy increasingly confronted with the need to make decisions on a variety of issues
stemming from the rapidly expanding frontiers of science and technology.

  We are very excited to include among our panelists the following participants, all of whom have a
deeply rooted interest in science education outreach.

 Dr. Roald Hoffmann, Nobel laureate and Cornell Professor of Chemistry Emeritus
  Dr. Peter Bruns, former Professor of Genetics at Cornell, and recently retired Vice President for
Grants and Special Programs at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
 Dr. Bruce Lewenstein, Professor of Science Communication at Cornell, and a member of both the
Department of Communication and the Department of Science and Technology Studies

WE HOPE THAT YOU AND YOUR OUTREACH COLLEAGUES WILL JOIN US  AS WE STREAM THE
DISCUSSION LIVE ON THE INTERNET.
Please pass the information about our panel discussion on to your outreach colleagues and
teachers, and encourage your science teachers to share the information with their non-scientist
teaching colleagues. The panel discussion will be broadcast live via a link on our website at
(TetrahymenaASSET.vet.cornell.edu).  For those unable to watch the live feed, a podcast of the
panel discussion will also be made available on our website after the event.

We encourage anyone interested to send us relevant questions regarding topics they would like to
see addressed, prior to the actual panel discussion. Questions can be submitted to the SEPA ASSET
Project at [log in to unmask] before July 23, 2011. Although not all questions can
be addressed in a one hour session, nonetheless if an interesting topic is raised we will try to
incorporate it into the discussion.

We hope that you and members of your group can join us for what promises to be an interesting
and dynamic discussion.

Regards,

Donna Cassidy-Hanley