Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SHOREBIRDS Home

SHOREBIRDS  September 2016

SHOREBIRDS September 2016

Re: Charlton Island James Bay Nature Canada shorebird expedition 2016.

Norman Deans van Swelm <[log in to unmask]>

Norman Deans van Swelm <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Sep 2016 01:04:42 +0200

text/plain

Hi Ted and friends, Thank you for sharing your great adventures. Great
stuff. I have one question regarding the Horned Grebe & chick in the photo.
Although everything points to Horned Grebe it's plumage looks weird to me.
Have a look at p.27 in Sibley's North American Bird Guide and you will see
what I mean. I see a rather plain colored bird lacking the typical jet black
cheeks and bright yellow head patch f.i. I don't know what it means but it
would be interesting to know if the other grebes you saw looked similar.
All the best, Norman

Charlton Island shorebird expedition, 2016 (click here to see part 1 of
account on Nature Canada
blog<http://naturecanada.ca/news/blog/charlton-island-shorebird-expedition-2016-part-1/>)

Ted Cheskey, Nature Canada

A joint project of Nature Canada, Environment Canada, the Cree Nation
Government, the Waskaganish Cree Trappers' Association, the Cree Nation of
Waskaganish, and Eeyou Marine Region Wildlife Board

On July 26, the day after delivering a community workshop in Waskaganish
Quebec on shorebird identification and conservation, seven of us headed out
into Rupert Bay and James Bay in `local sea-worthy boats for the 80 plus
kilometre trip to Charlton Island. Our late departure (about 8 pm), had us
arriving just as it was getting dark, around 10:30, but our drivers were
experts, and not only knew the route by heart but also knew how to dodge two
storms converging on either side of us.

A second crew of five, who were slightly delayedž didn't fare as well and
were forced to seek refuge from the storm in a camp less than half way to
their destination, Boatswain Bay. Unfortunately their shorter expedition
was compromised by rough seas and rain the following two days and they
returned to Waskaganish on July 29 without seeing Boatswain Bay.

One of the project's goals is to determine through daily counts, populations
of bird species, with a focus on shorebird species, on Charlton, Carey,
Danby, and the Strutton Islands, and their surrounding waters. The outcome
of this project could support nomination of one or more new Important Bird
and Biodiversity Areas (IBA) and possibly an extension to a proposed Western
Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network site for Southern James Bay.

Community Engagement is a priority

A second project goal is engage local community members of the Cree Nation
of Waskaganish directly in research, monitoring and conservation of bird
populations, particularly shorebirds and species at risk. Five of the seven
expedition participants were local, from the Cree Nation of Waskaganish.

Over the course of the following nine days, we surveyed the perimeter of
Charlton Island, which stretches about 40 kilometres in length from
south-west to north-east, about 35 kilometres beyond the mouth of Rupert Bay
at 52 degrees latitude, and 79 degrees longitude, as well as some of the
other nearby islands including Danby and Carey, a few kilometres off the
south-eastern coast, and another cluster about 20 kilometres to the
north-east, called the Strutton Islands. The islands have sandy soils
underlain by fossil-rich sedimentary rock. Charlton is an impressive dune
system that rises to about 30 metres above sea level at its highest
location. The interior is a vast network of spruce forest, dunes, beaver
lakes, and other wetland habitats. Contrary to the information in
Wikipedia, which describes Charlton as uninhabited, the Cree have seasonally
lived on the islands since long before European contact, and currently a few
families from Waskaganish have family camps on Charlton primarily.
Charlton Island served as a depot for the Hudson Bay Company and the North
West Company, as it was the only deep water harbour from which large ships
could unload goods and collect furs from the trading posts at Fort Rupert,
Moose Factory, and East Main where access by large ships was impossible.
Barges would make the trip from the trading posts to Charlton Island.

The Crew:

Ted Cheskey of Nature Canada organized the expedition and was joined by
skilled field ornithologist Marc-Antoine Montpetit from Mont Laurier, our
kind host, boat pilot and local guide, elder Bill Jolly, boat pilot and
local guide Clayton Jolly, local project coordinator Garry Salt, and field
assistants Jeremy Stevens and Jordan Rabbitskin.

Weather

July 27 and 28 were cool, damp with intermittent rain, and temperatures
between 5 degrees Celsius at night to 15°C during the day. July 30 was
warmer, breaking 20°C during that day, and from July 31 to August 4 the
temperature was over 30°C each day with slight south winds and no
precipitation.

Large Mammals

We frequently observed Polar Bear tracks in the mud flats and along the
beaches. Montpetit, B. Jolly, G. Salt and J. Stevens had a peaceful
encounter with a Polar Bear. We also observed frequent signs of Caribou
and observed Caribou on three different occasions. Beluga sightings were
nearly daily in the strait between Charlton and Danby Islands. We also
observed Ringed Seals off the coast of Charlton.

Birds

Over the course of nine days, we observed 18,204 individual birds of 101
species. Included in this total were five federally recognized species at
risk including the Endangered Red Knot (Calidris canutus rufa) (551), the
Threatened Olive-sided Flycatcher (Contopus cooperi) (2), and the Special
Concern Yellow Rail (Coturnicops noveboracensis) (4), Rusty Blackbird
(Euphagus carolinus) (76) and Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus) (1). In
addition, impressive numbers of waterfowl were observed, particularly diving
ducks off the coast of Charlton Island where rich mussel beds provide a
stable source of food, and the geography of the island provides refuge from
stormy seas and predators for moulting birds. Black Scoter topped the list
of duck species with 4742 individuals observed, followed by Common Goldeneye
with 1669 and Surf Scoter with 980.

Seventeen species of shorebirds were observed, most in "adult" plumage. We
encountered several flocks of Red Knot on Charlton, Danby, Carey and the
Strutton Islands. The largest single group was 148 (all adults), and the
summed total from maximums observed at different location was 551
individuals with 8 marked birds that included 3 captured in Canada, 4 from
the USA, and one from Argentina.

Shorebirds

Species Corrected total **

Black-bellied Plover 68

Semipalmated Plover 153

Killdeer 35

Whimbrel 140

Hudsonian Godwit 213

Ruddy Turnstone 762

Red Knot 551

Dunlin 1

Least Sandpiper 194

White-rumped Sandpiper 460

Pectoral Sandpiper 1

Semipalmated Sandpiper 2027

Wilson's Snipe 17

Spotted Sandpiper 112

Solitary Sandpiper 4

Greater Yellowlegs 491

Lesser Yellowlegs 456

**We visited some areas on multiple occasions, while other areas were
visited only once. The corrected total is the sum total of all of the areas
visited once, plus the single maximum number of individuals observed from
the same location visited multiple times. For example, to test whether Red
Knot numbers represent different groups of birds or possibly the same group
of birds displacing itself multiple times, we revisited one area where we
had observed the largest flock, about three kilometres from base camp,
twice. On both occasions separated by 7 days, we counted the largest
number of individuals recorded of any flock of Knots in our field work (128
on first visit, and 148 on second visit). We used the larger number of 148
in calculating the corrected total (and discarded the 128 number). We also
used this observation as a test of our confidence that Knots recorded in
different areas are different birds (and not the same ones moving between
sites). To answer the question of birds moving between different sites, we
hope to use the MOTUS system

Other species of conservation interest

Marc Antoine Montpetit located two active nests (with young) of Horned
Grebe, and one active nest of Red-necked Grebe. Both species are hundreds of
kilometres outside of their published breeding range. In fact the nearest
published Quebec breeding location for this species is on les Iles de la
Madeleine, a few thousand kilometres to the east, and in Ontario on the
Manitoba-Ontario border, about a thousand kilometres to the west (Ontario
Breeding Bird Atlas, 2001-2005.

MOTUS

On July 30, we installed a MOTUS wildlife tracking antennae on Charlton
Island. Prior to commencing our trip, a team from Bird Studies Canada
installed MOTUS antennae at the Waskaganish CTA offices, and trained local
coordinator Garry Salt. MOTUS antennae are designed to capture
transmissions from tiny nanotags that are attached to birds in many
locations across Canada and elsewhere in the Americas. For more information
about MOTUS, click here.

Return and acknowledgements

We arrived back at Waskaganish in late afternoon on August 4rth, just in
time to unpack and transfer equipment to the CTA office and my vehicle. A
few hours later, a massive cold front slammed through Waskaganish with 100
plus kilometre per hour gusts, driving rain and intense lightning. The
storm associated with the front lingered on through the night into the next
day.

Nature Canada is grateful for the interest and support of the Cree Nation of
Waskaganish for this project. This expedition was undertaken with the
financial support of Government of Canada's Habitat Stewardship program
(HSP), the Aboriginal Fund for Species At Risk (AFSAR), and support from the
Eeyou Marine Region Board (EMR).

---