Student Council on Globalization (SCOG)

The Office of International Education is starting a new student
organization that will bring together international exchange students and
U.S. students (former study abroad participants or those interested in
participating in study abroad or student exchanges in the future). The
organization is designed to promote friendships between international and
U.S. students, which will help prepare U.S. students for study abroad, help
integrate the exchange students into the UGA campus and help both U.S. and
international students develop contacts in the cities and countries that
they will be visiting. The Council will establish and raise funds for study
abroad scholarships, promote globalization of the UGA campus through
international events, promote study abroad and student exchanges on campus
and enjoy activities and field trips together. The first meeting of SCOG
will be on Sept. 7 at 5:00 p.m. in 215B Barrow Hall. At the initial meeting
we will be electing officers, and we encourage you to consider running.
U.S. students can run for Co-Chair or Secretary. If you would like more
information in advance about what those positions would entail, please
contact Lindsey Parsons at 542-7903 or [log in to unmask] Hope to see you
Sept. 7!

****************************

President Adams Study Abroad Goal Reached

Several years ago President Adams set the goal that by the year 2002, 10%
of all graduating seniors would have studied abroad by the time they
graduate. This year we have reached and surpassed that goal - with 11% of
the 99-2000 graduating class having studied abroad.

****************************

Job Opportunities in International Education

For any of these job opportunities, please reply and specify which job and
I will send you the complete announcement.

Center for Global Education, George Mason University
Administrative Assistant
Fairfax, VA

George Washington University, Office for Study Abroad
Administrative Assistant
Washington, D.C.

Center Washington University, Office of International Studies & Programs
Study Abroad Advisor
Ellensburg, WA

****************************

Job Opportunities Abroad

Universidad de la Sierra, A.C. (USAC)
1 English and/or French teaching internship position
Starting fall 2000 (August-December)
Puebla, Mexico

****************************

Student Quotes

From a student in Salamanca, Spain

"Everyone in the program was extremely friendly. I thought it would be
difficult going alone without knowing anyone. It was the complete opposite."

From a student in Aix-en-Provence, France

". . . there is actually a place with a perfect 70 degree [temperature]
with an amazing breeze and no bugs. Where in the distance mountains rise
into the sky with lavender fields as far as you can see and patches of a
brilliant yellow of sunflowers light the green surroundings. The people are
wonderfully nice and above all, they are French. The food is unbelievable
and never scare. I never believed such a place existed."

Office of International Education
University of Georgia
201 Barrow Hall
Athens, GA  30602-2407