Peer Advising

The OIE is looking for students who have already studied abroad who would
be interested in serving as Peer Advisors. Peer Advisors give presentations
about study abroad around campus (in classrooms, dorms, etc.) and assist
the OIE with other functions such as welcome back parties, conference
presentations and orientation/recruitment events. Although serving as a
Peer Advisor is unpaid, it will give you excellent experience in public
speaking, it's a great way to share with other students about your
wonderful experience abroad and it looks good on your resume. Peer advisors
go through a short training, then accompany a study abroad advisor to first
observe and then do presentations until he or she feels comfortable
presenting alone or with another peer advisor. Please reply if you would be
interested in serving as a peer advisor.

****************************

Scholarships for Study Abroad

The Association of Teachers of Japanese (ATJ) administers the Bridging
Scholarship program, which will award 30 scholarships to American students
participating in study-abroad programs in Japan in Spring 2002.
Undergraduate students majoring in any field of study are eligible to apply
for these scholarships; Japanese language background is not a requirement.
Recipients of Bridging Scholarships will receive stipends ranging from
$2,500 to $4,000, depending on the length of their study program in Japan.
The deadline for applications is October 3, 2001. Selection will be based
on academic potential and financial need. For more information about the
Bridging Scholarships, or to obtain application forms, please see:
<http://www.colorado.edu/ealld/atj/Bridging/abroad.html>.

The new Regents Scholarship applications are now available in the OIE Study
Abroad Library in 203F Barrow Hall or from our web site at:
http://www.uga.edu/oie/studyabroad.htm (choose Scholarships for Study
Abroad). The Regents is a general scholarship that ranges from $250-$1000
(depending on length of program). There are many selection criteria, but
the two most important are financial need and academic merit. You also have
a significantly better chance of getting the Regents Scholarship if you go
on a program that is one semester or longer. Any UGA student studying
abroad can apply for this scholarship for any program in which he or she is
participating for academic credit. The deadline for spring 2002 programs is
Nov. 2, 2001.

****************************

Job Announcements in International Education

Global Health Action
Atlanta, GA
Marketing and Communications Manager

Full job announcement will be posted in the Study Abroad Library in 203F
Barrow Hall.

****************************

Student Quotes

-from a student studying in Hakodate, Japan

"I was riding on a bus with a friend when a small group of middle-school
aged Japanese kids saw us and changed their seats to sit by us. They began
talking about me (not badly) in Japanese. I guess to see if I understood.
Well I did and I turned around and spoke to them and they thought it was
the coolest thing. We exchanged e-mails and took pictures. It was fun! I
never thought just because I was different people would be excited to talk
to me. . ."

Office of International Education
University of Georgia
209 Barrow Hall