Extended Deadlines for Spring Programs

If you were hoping to study abroad this spring, but haven't yet found a
program, please be aware that many programs have extended their deadlines
and still have spaces available. For more information on those programs,
please call the OIE.

********************

Africa Study Abroad Meeting

If you are interested in hearing more about the study abroad programs that
UGA offers to Tanzania, Ghana and Kenya, please come to an informational
meeting on Wednesday, November 7 in 407 Memorial Hall. Snacks will be
provided.

********************

Georgia International Leadership Conference

For the last three years, students around Georgia have taken part in the
Georgia International Leadership Conference. It is a conference designed
for student leaders to learn about cross-cultural awareness, develop
leadership skills, and to meet other students around the state who are
involved in international activities. Participants include both
international students and U.S. students who have studied abroad. The
conference will take place from January 25-27, 2002 in Americus, Georgia.
To participate in the whole conference, students will have to miss Friday
classes. However, it will be possible to come up later (and students coming
later can carpool). Transportation will be provided for those leaving
earlier than the end of Friday (time to be determined). For more
information on the conference, please see:
<http://www.uga.edu/oie/gaie/gilc/>. Applications and a check for the $40
registration fee should be submitted to Lindsey Parsons, Office of
International Education, 209 Barrow Hall by November 9. This conference was
great fun for those who participated last year, so I encourage you to
consider going. The OIE has seven spots. Participants will be selected
based on their order of application and their involvement in international
activities.

********************

Announcements from International Student Life

Mark your calendars!  Join ISL, the nation and our very own UGA
International Student Organizations as we celebrate International Education
Week.  Come take a short trip with us as we travel "Around the World in
Tatey Days". Displays, crafts, educational and cultural performances will
be shared by all.  Wednesday, November 14, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on the
Tate Student Center Plaza.  Rain location -- Memorial

ISL is looking for volunteers to help volunteer to assist with 2001 Taxes
for International Students.  Training will be provided.  Contact the ISL
office at 542-5867 or send an e-mail to [log in to unmask] to sign up.

The student Government Association invites you to join our Global/ Run walk
charity fundraiser on Saturday November 3, 2001 by 11am. The entry fees are
$8/ student, $35/ group of 5 students, $10/ non-students. Entry forms are
available in Tate Center business office and in room 151 Tate Student
Center. All proceeds will go to the American Red Cross and UNICEF. Remember
that each mile you run will save a life! Call 542 8584 for more info.

No `Raj' Spoken Here: A Festival of South Asian Film and Fiction. Through
readings by South Asian fiction writers, screenings of Bollywood and
Diaspora films and scholarly commentary by film scholars the festival will
provide the UGA and Athens community with an unique opportunity to grapple
with the complexities of our cultural moment through South Asian film and
fiction.  November 3-6, 2001.  All screenings and talks free and open to
the public.. For a schedule of films, dates and times,  contact Andy
Kavoori: 542-4971; [log in to unmask] Keerti Hasija: 583-8698;
or Rajat Sapra: 542-1909; [log in to unmask]

********************

Scholarships for Study Abroad

American Universities International Programs (AUIP) is offering $200
scholarships to students wishing to apply for their spring Scotland Program
(held in Edinburgh) and their spring Belize field study program. Interested
students should contact AUIP for an application. See http://www.auip.com
for contact information.

The International Partnership for Service Learning is offering academic
study and volunteer service scholarships for $3,000 for their spring
semester 2002 program in Prague, Czech Republic. Applications are due on
November 15, 2001. For a copy of the scholarship information, please see
Julie Avila, Scholarship Coordinator in the OIE. For more information on
the program, please see: <http://www.ipsl.org/>.

********************

Student Quotes

From a student in Tokyo, Japan

"I can't believe the mixture of the people that are participating in the
exchange program. I've made friends from all over the world."

Office of International Education
University of Georgia
209 Barrow Hall
Athens, GA  30602-2407