Student Council on Globalization (SCOG) - First Meeting August 28th

SCOG is a club of U.S. students (who have studied abroad or are planning to
study abroad) and international students. The club's purpose is to bring
together U.S. and international students to organize international and
social events, as well as promote study abroad and raise money for study
abroad and international student scholarships. Last year, we organized a
photo contest, international silent auction and several movie nights, as
well as gave out 6 $250 scholarships. The first fall meeting will be held
from 4:40 p.m. to about 6:15 p.m. on Wednesday, August 28th in 215B Barrow
Hall. At that time, we will be electing officers of the organization. There
are five officer positions, 3 of which are open to U.S. students: Co-Chair,
Secretary and Social Chair. If you are interested in running for an officer
position and are energetic and enthusiastic, please reply and I will send
you more information about the responsibilities of each position.

*******************

Peer Advisors Needed for the OIE

If you have studied abroad and are interested in helping the OIE by sharing
about your experience with others, we could use you as a peer advisor! Peer
advisors give information sessions about study abroad around campus, as
well as help out the OIE with various events (orientation, study abroad
fair, etc.) and around the office. Although this is an unpaid position, it
is a great resume builder and gives you a chance to work on your public
speaking skills. If you are interested in becoming a peer advisor, please
contact Deb Faucher at [log in to unmask] or 542-7903.

*******************

Student Quotes

From a student studying in Hakodate, Japan: "I expected to be
culture-shocked, but everything was foreign in a good way. I didn't feel
extremely out of place. Everyone was really accommodating."

Office of International Education
University of Georgia
209 Barrow Hall
Athens, GA  30602-2407