Dear Colleagues:

This email is to announce the program for the two evening Genomics Workshops scheduled at the upcoming FASEB meeting at Il Ciocco. Because abstracts became available after I had left for China, to attend the International Congress of Protozoology, I was unable to complete the workshop program until now. The genomics workshop program is appended below.

If you have an opinion to share under any of the discussion items in Workshop II, but will be unable to attend the meeting: please email me as soon as you can a short, concise paragraph and I will make sure that it gets brought up under the relevant topic.

Looking forward to an exciting meeting,

Ed Orias

------------------

Genomics Workshop I. Presentations on Genomic Databases, Stock Center and Post-Genomic Analyses

Saturday, August 6, 2005,  9:00 - 10:30 PM

Chair: Dr. Eduardo Orias, University of California at Santa Barbara

1. Parameciumdb

Olivier ARNAIZ1, Scott CAIN2, Jean COHEN1 and *Linda SPERLING1

1 Centre De Génétique Moléculaire, CNRS, 91198 Gif-Sur-Yvette France 2 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA

2. Information at TGD, the Tetrahymena Genome Database.

*Nicholas A. Stover, Cynthia J. Krieger, Dianna Fisk, Rob Nash, Gail Binkley, Qing Dong, Anand Sethuraman, Shuai Weng, and J. Michael Cherry.  Department of Genetics, Stanford University, Stanford, California, 94305-5120, U.S.A.

3. Annotating gene products to the Gene Ontology (GO) at the Tetrahymena Genome Database (TGD).

*Cynthia J. Krieger, Nicholas A. Stover, Dianna Fisk, Rob Nash, Gail Binkley, Qing Dong, Anand Sethuraman, Shuai Weng, and J. Michael Cherry.  Department of Genetics, Stanford University, Stanford, California, 94305-5120, U.S.A.

4. Tetrahymena EST/cDNA Sequencing at the Protist EST Project.

*Jyoti Garg1, Jane Carlton2, and Ronald E. Pearlman1

1Department of Biology, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

2The Institute for Genomic Research, Rockville, Maryland, U.S.A.

5. Creation of a Tetrahymena Stock Center at Cornell University
Ted Clark and *Donna Cassidy-Hanley

Department od Microbiology and Immunology, Veterinary Medical Center, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, U.S.A.

6. The homogeneity of Tetrahymena non-rDNA chromosome copy number is strongly supported by the whole-genome-shotgun macronuclear sequence.

*Eduardo Orias*, Jonathan Eisen#, Eileen Hamilton*, Steven Salzberg#, Arthur Delcher#, and many other coauthors.

*Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of California, Santa Barbara CA 93106 USA; #The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR), Rockville, MD 20850, USA.

--------------------------------

Genomics Workshop II. Free discussion about Ciliate Post-Genomic Resources

Sunday, August 7, 2005,  9:00 - 10:30 PM

Chair: Dr. Eduardo Orias, University of California at Santa Barbara

1. Lessons learned from completed or on-going post-genomic projects

2. Post-genomic resources needed to enhance the benefits of the availability of genome sequence

3. Has the success rate of ciliate grant applications decreased recently?

    If so: Possible reasons? How can we, as a research community, address the problem?

Eduardo Orias

Research Professor of Genomics

Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology

University of California, Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara, CA  93106

Phone: (805) 893 3024

Fax: (805) 893 4724