Ag Teachers and FFA Members,

From the desk of Craig Kvien:

I would appreciate you letting the students know about a wonderful
conference, dedicated to the use of wireless internet technologies in rural
communities, coming November 1 & 2, 2005 to the Tifton Campus Conference
Center.

Clearly one way to survive the rising cost of fuel is to communicate,
monitor and control using Internet technologies.  Wireless internet
technologies will soon be the standard way we operate both phone and
computer, monitor and control many operations around the farm and entice
many new businesses to rural communities.  To help people understand the
potential wireless Internet technologies have for rural businesses and
communities we have put together a wonderful conference and trade show.  The
program not only includes sessions on how agriculture, healthcare and other
rural businesses and communities are using these tools, it also includes
information on grant funds to help communities lower the cost of
implementing these technologies.

While standard registration for Unwired '05
(http://www.nespal.org/unwired05/) is $100 before the event or $125 at the
gate.  FFA High School and College Students can register for $10, and since
several of our Tifton Campus UGA students are helping with the event, we are
registering all Tifton Campus students for FREE.

To plan meals and room sizes, we would really appreciate all that plan to
attend to let us know they are coming. One method for them to register is to
reply to [log in to unmask] with their:

Name:

(also mention if they are a UGA or FFAstudent)

Address:

Phone:

e-mail:

Please see the press release below.  We really hope you will encourage
people to attend this informative and timely event.

Thanks,

Craig Kvien

Rural wireless conference set Nov. 1-2 in Tifton

How can wireless technology help rural Georgia?

Wireless Internet communication technology can allow a farmer to work his
land thousands of miles away. It can give a doctor quick access to patients'
records. It can connect a country store to the world.

<http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/storypage.cfm?storyid=2611#complete#comple
te> Complete Story

Photo: Brad Haire

Stuart Pocknee, a program coordinator with the UGA National Environmentally
Sound Production Agriculture Laboratory in Tifton, GA., uses a laptop
computer to control an experimental autonomous tractor and monitor an
irrigation system via the Internet.

By Brad Haire
University of Georgia

Wireless Internet communication technology can allow a farmer to work his
land thousands of miles away. It can give a doctor quick access to patients'
records. It can connect a country store to the world.

The "UnWired: Rural Wireless Conference" Nov. 1-2 at the University of
Georgia's Tifton campus will bring experts, researchers and users of
wireless technology to rural south Georgia.

"Most conferences like this take place in large urban areas," said Craig
Kvien, chair of the UGA National Environmentally Sound Production
Agriculture Lab in Tifton.

"We're bringing many people here that have worked a lot of the bugs out of
this technology," said Kvien, who is helping to organize the event. "The
conference will demonstrate and investigate how this technology can be used
for rural economic development."

The technical jargon of wireless communications can leave many people
scratching their heads. "But anyone who attends this conference will walk
away with a much better understanding of the potential of this technology,"
Kvien said.

The conference keynote speaker, Hans-Werner Braun, spearheads the
High-Performance Wireless Research and Education Network at University of
California at San Diego. The National Science Foundation funds this project,
which has set up a wireless network over hundreds of square miles,
connecting schools, research stations and remote Indian tribes in rural San
Diego County.

"Braun's work connects the unconnected," Kvien said.

Wade Mitchell will tell how wireless technology has revolutionized his Iowa
farm. Mitchell and his son Clay farm 2,500 acres of corn and soybeans. Their
farm-wide, high-speed wireless network with Internet access allows them to
remotely control grain handling and storage facilities, auto-steer tractors
and monitor fields.

Wireless technology has "turned our tractor cabs into mobile offices," he
said. "It has saved us hugely in labor and time and allowed us to be more
accurate in our operation."

Professionals from two Tifton healthcare facilities will discuss how going
wireless has improved their operations and allowed doctors to more
efficiently treat patients.

Paul Mask, an assistant director in the Alabama Cooperative Extension
System, will explain how wireless communications can help extension agents
better serve their clients.

The UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences precision
agriculture team will show how off-shelf products can monitor farm
facilities and irrigation and control a robot.

And representatives from Cattlelog will show how radio frequency
identification can help the cattle industry run smoothly and safely.

Funding agencies will be at the conference, too. So will those who've
received funding for wireless projects.

"Not only will attendees learn about the advances and opportunities," Kvien
said, "but also where to go to help fund them."

Other conference topics will include living wireless from a community
perspective, funding a large-scale wireless network, setting up a wireless
hotspot and pitfalls of going wireless.

Registration is $100 before Oct. 1. It's $150 after Oct. 1. To register or
to find out more about the conference, go to www.nespal.org/unwired05/.