This message is from Tim Savelle:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: TIM SAVELLE <[log in to unmask] >
Date: Sep 1, 2005 4:35 PM
Subject: Big Pine Tree Hunt
To: [log in to unmask]

Frank, Please post this on the ag ed listserve along with attached photo.

Teachers,

Want to have a little GPS/forestry adventure/fun with your students when (if) you pass through Morgan County during the upcoming school year?  We have a big pine tree that doesn't closely approach the state record, but is huge (see attached photo with a couple of my students).  Below are the GPS coordinates of the tree.  It will get you to within approximately 50 feet (the error on my small GPS units).

N 33  35.804
W 083  26.357

The tree is located on public property about 50 feet off a 1/4 mile single-lane gravel driveway.  The driveway is an extension of a public road.  The tree will be on your left before you reach the power line right-of-way.  Feel free to go onto the property to see it.  It is visible and easily accessible from the driveway.  Be careful climbing the old barbed wire fence.  Bring your clineometer and d-tape.  Your students will need to measure the tree.  Be aware:  the gravel drive is a dead-end.  There is room to turn a car or truck around in one of the residential driveways, but you'll have to back out  if you come in a school bus.

The names of all FFA chapters who locate it will be placed in a drawing for a grand prize gift card from Lowes at the end of this school year.  When you find it, staple one of your FFA business cards or a small index card with your Chapter name and advisor signature to the tree on the back side (opposite the road so that it cannot be seen from the road).  Send me an email and I'll go retrieve the card.  The email should include:

Your chapter's name
Your name (advisor)
The name of the student (s) who accompany you
The tree's dbh rounded to the nearest inch
The tree's height in feet (not logs), rounded to the nearest five feet

If you find cards that others have stapled to the tree, please don't remove them.  It will be interesting to see how many FFA Chapters locate the tree.

The only rule is that the students must use the GPS equipment to locate the tree, and they must do the measuring (not you, the advisor).  Students must be FFA members.

Feel free to participate in this "just for fun" GPS tree hunt sponsored by Morgan County FFA any time from now until May 31, 2006.  The drawing for the gift card will be held next June.  Results of the drawing will be sent by email to advisors of all chapters who found the tree.  The winner of the drawing will be mailed their gift card.

Good luck!

Tim

Tim Savelle
Agriculture Teacher and FFA Advisor
Morgan County High School
1231 College Drive
Madison GA  30650
Voice 706-342-5036
Fax 706-342-5046

FFA MISSION:
FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education.

AGRICULTURAL EDUCATION MISSION:
Agricultural Education prepares students for successful careers and a lifetime of informed choices in the global agriculture, food, fiber, and natural resources systems.

--
Frank B. Flanders, EdD
Agricultural Education