As the school year nears, we in the Office of International Education welcome you back to UGA.  We hope you had a wonderful summer and that your school year ahead will be a rewarding one.

**Advising reminder
**22nd Annual Study, Work, and Travel Abroad Fair
**One-page articles on experiences in Africa sought
**Student Traveler photo contest
**Learn about Antarctica

***

Advising reminder

If you plan to go on a study abroad program during your time here at UGA, early planning is the key.

Please discuss the study abroad option with your academic advisor at your earliest convenience in order to fit this option into the continuum of courses that you'll take on campus.  Early planning typically means that you'll graduate on time while enjoying the cultural and academic enhancement of a study abroad experience.

If you've not registered to come to an Options Abroad Session (OAS), please do so by calling 706-542-7903,  option 1.  We offer OAS three times a week to fit your busy schedule . . .

Monday:  3:35 - 4:25 p.m.
Tuesday:  3:30 - 4:20 p.m.
Thursday:  2:00 - 2:50 p.m.

***

22nd Annual Study, Work, and Travel Abroad Fair

Mark your calendar so you won't miss our Study, Work, and Travel Abroad Fair.  This is the 22nd year we've had such a Fair but this year is the first year for a 2-day Fair.  We will have different vendors each day, so plan to come both days.

The Fair will be October 9 and 10 from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. in Georgia Hall (bottom of the Tate Center).  It is a drop-in type of Fair and you can stay for as long as you like!  We hope to see you then.

***

One-page articles on experiences in Africa sought

UGA’s African Studies Institute is currently putting together their summer-fall newsletter, and they welcome the perspective of students who have studied in Africa.  Please submit one page articles with pictures to Dr. Lioba Moshi at [log in to unmask] by September 1st.

***

Student Traveler photo contest

Don’t forget UGA’s own annual study abroad photo contest – information to follow on this list-serve after the semester starts!  In the meantime. . .

Student Traveler Magazine, the leading student travel magazine in the U.S., is publishing the top 10 student travel photos in its September 2006 issue.  The contest celebrates the 10th volume of Student Traveler, which was started in a college dorm room at UC Irvine in 1997.

Student Traveler is now circulated to 100,000 college students in 1,000 study abroad offices nationwide.

First prize is $1,000 towards airfare and travel expenses for a photo shoot anywhere in the world.  Second prize (nine of these) is your photo blown up, framed, and mailed to the photographer.

College students in the U.S. are encouraged to send in their favorite photos for consideration.  At least one photo from all entries will be published on our web site at www.studenttraveler.com.

All photos to be considered for the print magazine must be at least 300 dpi (or able to print clearly on a 4x6 print area).  Photos less than 300 dpi are still accepted but will only be considered to be published online.

Students are encouraged to send a link to one or more photo hosting sites (shutterfly, photobucket,etc.) for our editors to see their photos. Photos and links can be sent to [log in to unmask]  Photos can also be mailed to our corporate headquarters, but will not be returned:

Photo Editor
Student Traveler
714 W. Olympic Blvd Suite 701
Los Angeles, CA 90015

Only photos taken by a college student during the 2005-2006 academic year will be considered.  For complete rules and restrictions, students are encouraged to visit www.studenttraveler.com.

***

Learn about Antarctica

This is the course that proves that UGA truly has COMPLETE continental coverage with study abroad. . .

Antarctica, The Fragile Continent, ANTH/FORS/MARS 4272/6272 (3 credits)

Wednesdays 6:00 – 8:00pm, Fall semester, 2006
Webcast (available live and also recorded) delivered in conjunction with the Antarctic Research Center, New Zealand
Available to all students, regardless of major
Optional field program from December 26, 2006 – January 9, 2007 (additional 3 credits)

Antarctica has been described as the “coldest, windiest, driest, highest, quietest, most remote, and least understood continent on earth”. It is also one of the most fascinating to the human imagination. This webcast course delivered in conjunction by the University of Georgia and Antarctic Research Center in New Zealand explores Antarctica’s history, geology, climate, and marine and terrestrial biology.

Special attention is given to contemporary legal, psychological, and anthropological aspects of human activity in the region, conservation of ecosystems, and sustainable use of natural resources. Students attend a webcast lecture once a week (also recorded for those unable to attend live) and prepare a research essay in their area of primary interest.

An optional 2-week field study in Antarctica and Tierra del Fuego during winter break is also available (see http://www.uga.edu/oie/southpacific). There is a program fee for the field portion but not for the on-campus classes. Students can take the on-campus classes without the field portion, but all students on the field program must also attend the on-campus classes.

For more information, contact [log in to unmask] for more information or call 706.542.9713.
Dr. Kasee Clifton Laster
Associate Director of Study Abroad
Office of International Education
University of Georgia