The following e-mail message is from Norman Gay from Perry who has served as both a State and National FFA Officer and both our State and National FFA Alumni President.  His contact information is below.

Fellow Agricultural Education Supporters,

The agricultural industry is under fire from many levels.  Funding and other challenges have created a sometimes unfriendly atmosphere for agriculture - particularly for agricultural education.  In an attempt to help create a more favorable environment, the National FFA Alumni along with Georgia FFA Alumni is establishing the “Advocates for Agricultural Education” program.

The goal of this program is to establish an advocacy network, which has one individual in each congressional district who would volunteer to serve as a coordinator. These congressional district coordinators, with assistance from the state and national coordinators, would be responsible for finding advocacy volunteers, with a goal of 75 volunteer contacts.  Coordinators would be responsible for encouraging volunteers to engage in communication with legislative officials to help them better understand the concerns of agricultural education.

By establishing a strong advocacy network throughout the United States, when issues such as Carl D. Perkins reauthorization are being debated, Georgia’s congressional leaders will be better informed about agricultural education.

A few items to highlight:
       Coordinators need not be members of the FFA Alumni but must possess a willingness to be a vocal supporter of agricultural education.
       Training will be provided via PowerPoint or in-person training meetings.

While district advocacy coordinators are encouraged to help monitor issues as well as share the 'good news' of agricultural education, they will be notified when action is needed on an issue by me, the Georgia advocacy coordinator.

Advocates are needed in each of Georgia’s Congressional Districts.  If you are interested in being a district advocacy coordinator or a part of the network, please contact me as soon as possible at [log in to unmask], (478) 987-9822 (h), 1-800-245-9046 (w), and take a moment to fill out the attached form.  Please note an expression of interest is not a commitment, as I will be contacting those who are interested with more information.

If you do not know who your congressional representative is, please visit http://capwiz.com/acte/home/ and enter your zip code.

Sincerely,

Norman Gay
Georgia Advocacy Coordinator