July 13, 2007
Dear Ciliate community,

Since the publication of the use of hairpin constructs to perform RNAi in Tetrahymena by Howard-Till
and Yao in 2006, I know several in the community have tried to use this technology to knock-down
expression of their favorite gene(s).  I plan to moderate a discussion of the successes and pitfalls of
this approach in the "New Tools" workshop at the upcoming FASEB meeting in Tuscon.  While I have
heard anecdotal stories, I would like to collect data from each of you that has tried this approach to
assess its effectiveness.  If you could, please send me the following information:
1. # of genes that you have attempted to silence,
2. # of hairpins created for each gene,
3. Type of vector or RNAi agent used
4. Successful knockdown or not
4. Whether you assessed the level of mRNA silencing and if so, what was the result
5. any other relevent information you would like to share.

I will tabulate all the data and present it in the workshop with proper acknowledgements. I need the
information by noon on July 20th so I have time to collect it all and bring it to the conference.
Thanks and Happy Experimenting,
Doug Chalker