In this week's issue:

1.       Study Abroad Scholarships and Deadlines

2.       I studied abroad and loved it….now what?

3.       Costa Rica Information Session

4.       UGA Exchange Program Application Deadline

5.       Campus Coffee Hour

STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS AND DEADLINES

UGA FOUNDATION STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP FOR FALL UGA PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS

  Open to Fall 2007 or 2007-2008 Full Year participants of UGA sponsored study abroad and exchange programs, excluding UGA Costa Rica and UGA at Oxford

<>Deserving UGA undergraduates, participating in a UGA-sponsored study abroad or exchange program for one semester (Fall or Spring) or full academic year, will be designated as University of Georgia Foundation Study Abroad Scholars and awarded scholarships ($500 and up) in support of his/her upcoming study abroad program.

These University of Georgia Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship funds are supported and provided through the University of Georgia Foundation Incentive Scholarship Initiative Program.

<>Eligibility :   2.50 minimum GPA required, Must not have previously studied abroad for academic credit at the university level

                 --Award based on demonstrated financial need, strong personal recommendation, essays, academic merit, and overall application.

                 --Scholarship recipients must commit to work with the Office of International Education and/or Study Abroad Program Director (as determined by the OIE) and provide a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer service during the semester of return to the UGA campus, promoting study abroad and sharing his/her experience with others. Students must have completed at least one full semester at UGA prior to application and have at least one semester to complete at UGA upon return. ( i.e. scholarship cannot be used for the last semester of your degree program in order to participate in post-study abroad service activities).

 --NOTE: UGA Costa Rica and UGA at Oxford applicants must INSTEAD apply for the UGA Foundation Scholarship directly with those study abroad program directors following separate specific application procedures and deadlines. Separate scholarship funds are available for these 2 study abroad programs.

--FALL 2007 APPLICATION DEADLINE -- August 31, 2007, 5 pm

--TO APPLY: Download the Fall 2007 UGA Foundation Scholarship application form to the OIE website at http://www.uga.edu/oie/sagensch.htm and submit to the Office of International Education.

--STUDENT FULBRIGHT GRANTS

The Fulbright Program for U.S. students provides scholarships for recent graduates and graduate students to conduct research or to teach English overseas.

Applications are now available online for 2008-09.

--UGA CAMPUS APPLICATION DEADLINE:      September 24, 2007

--TO APPLY:   UGA students interested in applying should consult the Fulbright website (www.us.fulbrightonline.org < http://www.us.fulbrightonline.org>)and contact Dr. Elliott-Gower, Student Fulbright Campus Representative, at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask] >.

I STUDIED ABROAD AND LOVED IT….NOW WHAT?

Have you recently studied abroad and are now asking yourself these questions….

Who can I share my stories with?

How can I utilize my study abroad experience on a resume?

How do I talk about my experience in a job interview?

How do I transition back into life in the U.S.?

How can I get involved with international students and events on campus?

The Office of International Education invites you to:

Study Abroad:  The Next Step

When:  Tuesday, September 18 from 4-6 p.m.

Where:  OIE Conference Room (3rd Floor of the Bank of America Bldg. on the corner of Lumpkin and Clayton)

Please bring your favorite picture from your study abroad program.

Contact Monica Catalano at [log in to unmask] if you plan to attend.

COSTA RICA INFORMATION SESSION

Have the adventure of a lifetime in Costa Rica!  Come meet students who have studied abroad at the Costa Rica campus and learn more about the programs offered.

When:  Thursday, September 6 from 2-6 p.m. (stop by anytime!)

Where:  Office of International Education, Study Abroad Library (located on the 3 rd floor of the Bank of America Bldg. on the corner of Clayton and Lumpkin)

Questions?  Contact Page McCorkle at [log in to unmask]

APPLICATION DEADLINE - UGA EXCHANGE PROGRAMS - SEPT 17, 2007

The Office of International Education will be accepting student

applications on September 15 for Spring 2008 UGA Exchange Programs in

Australia, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, Mexico,

Norway, Portugal, South Korea, and the United Kingdom.

Exchange Programs offer the unique opportunity to directly enroll in classes with students from the host university, plus several host universities may also offer language and culture programs. Students abroad on UGA Exchange Programs pay in-state tuition and fees to UGA, housing fees to their host university, plus pay transportation costs to the exchange program destination. Students are eligible to keep HOPE and other UGA financial aid benefits while studying abroad through an exchange program.

--Application Deadline: September 17, 2007 for Spring 2008 programs

                                 (Fall 2008 Deadline is February 1, 2008)

--For Additional Information: Consult the UGA Programs List on-line at

http://www.uga.edu/oie/saprograms.htm or

--Contact: Colleen Larson, Study Abroad Advisor, Office of International

Education, Bank of America Building, 3rd Floor, 110 E. Clayton Street,

E-mail [log in to unmask]

--TO SCHEDULE AN EXCHANGE ADVISING APPOINTMENT: Call the OIE Reception Desk at 706-425-3274

Campus Coffee Hour.

Sponsored by Amnesty International. Students, faculty, and staff from all over campus can mingle over coffee, cultural presentations, and samplings of international foods. 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM. Memorial Hall Ballroom..

--
Monica Catalano
Study Abroad Graduate Assistant