In this week's issue:

  1. Study, Work and Travel Abroad Fair – next week!
  2. International Photo Contest:  The World in Pictures
  3. Study Abroad Scholarships:  UGA Costa Rica, Alumni, Schaefer, Freeman-Asia, Gilman, Bridging, UGA Foundation
  4. Studies Abroad in the South Pacific & Caribbean – Now accepting applications for Spring 2008!
  5. IIE Country of the Month Photo Submissions

STUDY, WORK AND TRAVEL ABROAD FAIR—next week!

Oct. 3rd & 4th in Georgia Hall of the Tate Student Center from 10 a.m. to 3

p.m..  Get information about all the upcoming opportunities to work and

study abroad! Vendors from around the world will be there to answer

questions and help find the program that is right for you.  You don't want

to miss out!  This is a "drop-in" event so feel free to stop by both days, as there will be

different vendors in attendance each day.

For more information contact Kornelia Probst-Mackiowak at [log in to unmask] or

visit our website at www.uga.edu/oie.

*********************

International Photo Contest:   The World in Pictures

Contest opens on Monday, October 1st .

The photo contest is open to all UGA students who have lived, studied, worked, or traveled outside the United States and international students currently studying at UGA.

New for 2007—Submit photos electronically!!

-- RULES:  U.S. student must submit photos from an experience outside the U.S.; international students may submit photos from their home country or an international travel destination.   * Each student may enter up to 3 photos.

-- DEADLINE:   5:00 PM on October 29th

-- TO ENTER:   Use the Photo Entry Form available on the OIE website at   www.uga.edu/oie/iew/photo.htm Please follow directions carefully!

--JUDGING: * Photos will be judged in three categories:

Landscape: a photograph that exhibits artistic quality in a natural setting (may also include people or animals)
People & Culture: a photograph that communicates a cross-cultural experience
New Perspective: a photograph that demonstrates a new way of thinking or seeing the world.

Questions?  Contact Monica Catalano at [log in to unmask]

******************************

STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS

UGA Costa Rica Scholarships

We want to remind you of the opportunity to apply for several scholarships to help cut down the costs of studying abroad at UGA Costa Rica.   The UGA Costa Rica Office, as well as the Office of International Education, offers a variety of scholarships for students planning to study abroad.   The deadlines for application are quickly approaching, so please check them out at our website: http://www.uga.edu/costarica/program_scholarships.htm or come pick up applications in the UGA Costa Rica Office or the Office of International Education, both located on the 3rd floor in the Bank of America Building downtown on Clayton Street.

*************

UGA ALUMNI ASSOCIATION STUDY ABROAD FELLOWSHIP

Awarded to selected UGA undergraduates attending a UGA-sponsored study abroad or exchange program for one semester (Fall or Spring) or full academic year.   Award is up to $3000.

Eligibility:  3.0 minimum GPA, must not have previously studied abroad for academic credit at the university level, students must have completed at least one full semester at UGA prior to application and have at least one semester to complete at UGA upon return.

Application Deadline:  October 5, 2007 (for Spring 2008 programs)

To Apply:  Visit http://www.uga.edu/oie/sagensch.htm for the application and required attachments.

***************

ELIZABETH SUZANNE SCHAEFER SCHOLARSHIP

Minimum $500 scholarship for UGA undergraduates attending a UGA or External study abroad or Exchange program.

Eligibility:  3.0 minimum GPA.  Preference given for academic merit, applicants from under-represented student groups in study abroad, participation in programs with language/cultural immersion component or located in an under-represented geographic region ( i.e. outside Western Europe).  All students are encouraged to apply.

Application Deadline:  October 12, 2007

To apply:  Visit http://www.uga.edu/oie/sagensch.htm  for application and essay requirements.

*********************

THE FREEMAN-ASIA AWARD SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM: ***

This scholarship is designed to support American undergraduates with

demonstrated financial need who are planning on studying overseas in East or

Southeast Asia. Freeman-ASIA Award Program grantees are expected to share

their experiences with their home campuses to encourage study abroad in Asia

by others, and to spread greater understanding of Asian peoples and cultures

within their home communities. Since the launch of the program in 2000, the

Freeman-ASIA Award Program has supported over 2,000 U.S. undergraduates with

their study abroad plans in East and Southeast Asia.

--*Eligibility*: Spring Scholarships available for students who will study

abroad for 10 weeks or more in Asia with a start date next December - April.

--*Application Deadline*: Application cycle opens September 6, 2006 for

Spring Programs. Endorsed application and signed Financial Need Validation

Form must be received by Institute of International Education by *5:00 PM

EST October 18, 2006*.

--TO APPLY: Visit the Freeman-ASIA website at

http://www.iie.org/programs/freeman-asia/

*************

BENJAMIN A. GILMAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

Spring 2008 Application Now Open - Deadline: October 9, 2007

Apply now at http://www.iie.org/gilman

This year the Gilman International Scholarship Program will provide 850

scholarships of up to $5,000 for U.S. undergraduate students to study

abroad for up to one academic year.  The program aims to diversify the

kinds of student who study abroad and the countries and regions where

they go.  The program serves students who have been under-represented in

study abroad which includes but is not limited to: students with high

financial need, community college students, students in

under-represented fields such as the sciences and engineering, students

from diverse ethnic backgrounds, students attending minority-serving

institutions, and students with disabilities. The Gilman Program seeks

to assist students from a diverse range and type of two-year and

four-year public and private institutions from all 50 states.

A limited number of $3000 Critical Need Language Supplements are

available for students studying a critical need language for a total

possible award of $8000.  A list of eligible languages can be found on

the Gilman website at http://www.iie.org/gilman

Eligibility: Students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time

of application and cannot be studying abroad in a country currently

under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or in Cuba.

The Gilman International Scholarship Program is sponsored by the U.S.

Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and

administered by the Institute of International Education.

For more information, full eligibility criteria and the online

application visit:  http://www.iie.org/gilman

Contact for Applicants: Lindsay Calvert

email: [log in to unmask]

Phone: 713.621.6300, ext 25

*************

THE BRIDGING SCHOLARSHIP

The Bridging Scholarship program will award 20 scholarships to

American students participating in study-abroad programs in Japan

that begin in Spring 2008. Undergraduate students majoring in any

field of study and attending any recognized exchange or independent

program in Japan are eligible to apply for these scholarships.

Recipients of Bridging Scholarships will receive stipends of $2,500
or $4,000, depending on the length of their study program in Japan.
The scholarships are funded by donations from U.S. corporations and
foundations to the US-Japan Bridging Foundation. Since 1999, the
Bridging Scholarship program has awarded 775 scholarships to students
studying abroad in Japan. Most recently, 79 students from colleges
and universities in 36 states received scholarships for study in
Japan beginning in the Fall 2007 semester.

The deadline for applications is October 5, 2007. Applicants will be

notified of the results by November 20. Selection will be based on

academic potential and financial need. The scholarships are
administered by the Association of Teachers of Japanese.

Spring 2008 programs are those beginning between January and April

2008 and continuing for at least three months. (Summer program

participants are not eligible for Bridging Scholarships.) Students

planning to study abroad in Japan beginning in Fall 2008 or for the

2009-2009 academic year should apply in April 2008 for the Fall 2008

scholarships.

Information on the Bridging scholarships and downloadable application

forms are available at ATJ's Web site:
http://www.colorado.edu/ealld/

atj/Bridging/scholarships.html. Printed application brochures are

also available.

***************

UGA Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship

The Office of International Education is pleased to announce a NEW study abroad scholarship opportunity for UGA students studying abroad this Spring 2008 on a UGA sponsored study abroad or UGA exchange program for a full semester or longer!

See scholarship information and application details, including deadline, below.

UGA FOUNDATION STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP (excluding UGA Costa Rica and UGA at Oxford participants)

Spring 2008 Application Deadline:     October 12, 2007,  5:00 pm

Application may be downloaded from  the OIE General Scholarship Website at:   http://www.uga.edu/oie/sagensch.htm

Deserving UGA undergraduates, participating in a UGA-sponsored study abroad or exchange program for one semester (Fall or Spring) or full academic year, will be designated as University of Georgia Foundation Study Abroad Scholars and awarded scholarships ($500 and up) in support of his/her upcoming study abroad program.

These University of Georgia Foundation Study Abroad Scholarship funds are supported and provided through the University of Georgia Foundation Incentive Scholarship Program.

Eligibility Requirements:

--2.50 minimum GPA required.
--Must not have previously studied abroad for academic credit at the university level.
--Award based on demonstrated financial need, strong personal recommendation, essays, academic merit, and overall application.
--Scholarship recipients must commit to work with the Office of International Education and/or Study Abroad Program Director (as determined by the OIE) and
  provide a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer service during the semester of return to the UGA campus, promoting study abroad and sharing his/her experience
  with others.

--Students must have completed at least one full semester at UGA prior to application and have at least one semester to complete at UGA upon return.  (i.e. scholarship cannot be used for the last semester of your degree program in order to participate in post-study abroad service activities).
--
NOTE: UGA Costa Rica and UGA at Oxford applicants must instead apply for the UGA Foundation Scholarship directly with those study abroad program directors following separate specific application procedures and deadlines.  Contact the UGA Costa Rica and/or UGA at Oxford Program Offices for more information.

***********

Studies Abroad in the South Pacific & Caribbean

The University of Georgia Studies Abroad in the South Pacific & Caribbean is now accepting applications for our Spring Semester in Australia and New Zealand program.  The program is available to students of all majors and provides 13-15 semester credits in anthropology, ecology, geography, and political science/international affairs, as well as electives in forestry and education. These courses also fulfill Areas B, D, E, and/or F of the UGA core curriculum (refer to the syllabi on the website at www.uga.edu/oie/southpacific/programs/nz-aus.html for more details). We use an experiential education approach where you spend 30% of time in the classroom and 70% in the field.

South Island of New Zealand (mid January – late February, 2008)

During the first 5½ weeks of the program you will study in Christchurch (at several institutions including Lincoln University and Christchurch Polytechnic) and travel throughout the South Island of New Zealand. Christchurch has been touted as one of the world's most beautiful cities in a country that boasts some of the most diverse and remarkable natural resources in the southern hemisphere. The field study will include many of the South Island's national parks, reserves, offshore islands, and coastal areas where you will explore marine wildlife of the Continental Shelf at Kaikoura, sea kayak the Abel Tasman National Park, hike in Mount Cook and Fiordland national parks, visit the predator-free island of Ulva, take a guided hike on Fox Glacier, and visit the geological wonders of Paparoa National Park.

Queensland , Australia (March – early April, 2008)

The second 5½ weeks of the program will be spent at the University of Queensland in Brisbane and will include a three-week field survey of the parks and protected areas of southeast Queensland. Known as the Sunshine State, Queensland's major university is in the vibrant and eclectic modern city of Brisbane. Famous for its art center, riverwalk, and street cafes, Brisbane is close to both mountains and coast and is credited with a near-perfect year-round climate. As part of the field program in Queensland, you will have the opportunity to snorkel and experience the marine wildlife of the Great Barrier Reef, hike the rainforests of Lamington National Park, visit the Outback of Carnavon Gorge, and experience Aboriginal life of the Australian Bush.

Field and classroom instruction will be provided by faculty from the universities of Georgia, Canterbury, Lincoln, and Queensland, as well as a variety of professional organizations. January through April is summer in the southern hemisphere and average day-time highs during our stay in Christchurch are expected to be approximately 75 degrees F, while in Brisbane the highs should be around 85-95 degrees F. The program fee is $6795 and this includes all accommodations, domestic transportation (coach, internal flights, boats), activities and excursions (e.g., glacier hike, swim with dolphins, sea kayaking, Great Barrier Reef trips, etc), entrance fees, some meals, and student insurance. Space is limited to approximately 30 students (on a first come, first served basis). For eligible instate students, HOPE will cover tuition; for out of state (and non UGA) students, tuition is at the same rate as for in state students (likely to be about $1850 for 12+ semester hours). In 2007 the group airfare (round-trip from Atlanta) was approximately $1500. The closing date for applications is November 15, 2007; but in previous years we have closed out before the deadline.

Here our some things that previous students have said about the programs…. I have leaned more here than in the rest of my time at UGA [and] will take this with me for the rest of my life…. All of the teachers have been amazing and helpful…. I learned how to travel internationally and am not timid anymore to go out and do what I have always wanted to…. It was an amazing experience that allowed me to do things many people never do in a lifetime… It was from this [program] that I learned the most about myself…. I will take away experiences, both in the classroom and in the field that I will use every day of my life for the rest of my life…. I recommend this program to any student.

We hope that you will be able to join us. Our office is now in Room 300 Building One in the School of Forest Resources and we can be contacted via email using [log in to unmask] or by phone on 706.542.9713 if you have any other questions.

IIE Passport Country of the Month!

IIEpassport is still looking for new Country of the Month brochure pictures! (See our previous countries here:   http://info.iiepassport.org/country.html) Right now we are looking for pictures from Sweden, Poland, the Netherlands, and the Czech Republic. If you have pictures from any of these places, please forward your photos (with a short caption of what is in the picture) to [log in to unmask] . We do prefer photos with students in them!

Also, any students who submit pictures are more than welcome to submit articles or essays to go with them that we could post on the site!

--
Monica Catalano
Study Abroad Graduate Assistant