Have a fun and safe Spring Break!

In this week's issue:

  1. Summer 2008 programs with space still available
  2. Study in St. Petersburg with the European Council
  3. Peace Corps Info Session
  4. IIE Calendar Destination of the Month accepting student photographs!
  5. 2008 Delay the Real World Fellowship
  6. Abroad View Student Writing Contest
  7. Housing Pre and Post Study Abroad Facebook Group
  8. Study Abroad Scholarships
    -Murphy
    -IEW
    -STARS
    -Freeman-Asia
    -Gilman
    -Alumni
    -Bridging

Summer 2008 programs with space still available!

Ghana Community Design Service-Learning

www.sed.uga.edu/pso/ghana

**********

Thailand Service-Learning

http://www.uga.edu/thailand/

************

The UGA-Morocco Maymester

9 semester hours, no prereqs.

http://www.uga.edu/islam/morocco/programinfo.html .

************

UGA Costa Rica still has spaces available!

Still trying to decide if you want to study abroad? UGA Costa Rica is giving you one last chance to have the time of your life while earning course credits in Costa Rica!  The application deadline has been extended to March 28th for most programs. Don't let the extra time slow you down.  Programs are filling up, and we accept on a first come first serve basis; so apply today to reserve your spot!

Contact Page at [log in to unmask] to notify the office of your interest in applying today!

**********

St. Petersburg-the Best of Europe

>Are you still thinking about studying abroad this summer and can't decide
>on a final destination? Well here's something to consider. Czar Peter the Great had the same dream and being a czar he did tour Europe. As a result Peter the Great created his window on
>Europe, what we know today as the city of St. Petersburg. The city is
>often called the "Venice of the North" as it combines its Russian heritage
>with a European outlook.

Deadline:  March 7th

>The program is open to all students, both full time and part time, from
>all universities and colleges. Some programs have already filled up but we
>do have room for a few more students!

Contact:  European Council at 229-259-2591 or visit  http://www.valdosta.edu/europeancouncil/New/Russia.html>http://www.valdosta.edu/europeancouncil/New/Russia.html

Program Directors: Dr. Stan Web, Bainbridge College, [log in to unmask]

Irina McClellan, Valdosta State University, [log in to unmask]

>The European Council is one of four regional councils operating under the
>auspices of the System Council for International Education of the
>University System of Georgia.

**************

PEACE CORPS INFORMATION SESSION
UGA Student Learning Center Rm. 275 at 6:30pm

Practice peace...for yourself...for America...for the world!

Come hear about how you can live and work abroad in a developing country to help empower people to take charge of their own future.  There will be information on the application process, benefits provided by Peace Corps, and returned volunteers to talk about their personal experiences.

Every Monday 5:30-6:30pm

PEACE CORPS COFFEE HOUR
at Espresso Royale Coffee Shop on Broad St.

Come meet returned Peace Corps volunteers to hear stories from their personal experiences and ask questions.

******************

IIE Passport Destination of the Month accepting student photographs!

Calendar

 As part of our Destination of the Month program, we launch a new calendar every May at the annual NAFSA conference with each month featuring a different country. Our DOMs for 08-09 are Austria, Ecuador, China, England, Morocco, Italy, Singapore, Peru, Japan, South Africa, Switzerland, and Thailand.

 This year, we would like to feature a different student each month who has studied in the given destination. We're asking each student to provide the following:

 1. A good quality selection of photos (10 or so) taken at the study abroad destination. These photos should feature the student and display sites/attractions of cultural, historical, local importance.

 2. For the calendar, the student is to write three things which will be printed on the calendar, and attributed to the student as the author: a tip for studying in the country; a fact about the country; a bit of trivia about the country.

 We would contact the student once we choose one for each country.

Send Photos to:

Email: [log in to unmask]

Tel:  484.766.2974

www.educationdynamics.com

*********************

2008 Delay the Real World Fellowship

This year's DELAY THE REAL WORLD Fellowship will award $5,000 to the
twentysomething who proposes the best plan to avoid the cubicle. Please
share news of this opportunity with your students!

The winner will be selected on the basis of the quality and originality of
his or her proposal. Last year's winner, Andrew Morgan, is currently biking,
teaching and making a documentary in Central America. 2006 winner Daniela
Papi used her prize to live in Cambodia and work with PEPY Ride, which
supports educational projects in developing countries and disaster relief
areas. For contest details and full bios of past winners, visit
http://www.delayingtherealworld.com/fellowship08/

Application deadline is April 23, 2008. Contest is sponsored by Running
Press and Avalon Travel, to celebrate the spirit of DELAYING THE REAL WORLD:
A TWENTYSOMETHING'S GUIDE TO SEEKING
ADVENTURE, by Colleen Kinder.

"Colleen's book isn't about how to buy a Eurail pass and have a great
summer vacation. It's about how to put off the pressures of
post-graduate adult life and continue your education beyond the
classroom. That means traveling the world, working abroad,
volunteering for causes you care about, and not caring about people
busy counting their 401(k) contributions back home. Colleen makes it
clear that if you plan it right, the education provided by a year
spent squishing grapes barefoot on a farm in Denmark can be more
illuminating than four years of papers and finals, and far more
rewarding than life as a corporate drone."

**************

Abroad View Student Writing Contest 2008

"Abroad View," the global education magazine for students, is hosting
its annual writing contest. Currently enrolled undergraduate and
graduate study abroad students, and students who have graduated
within the past year, are invited to submit compelling stories for
one of three contest categories: Personal Journeys, Inspiration, and
Viewpoint. Winning submissions will be awarded a cash prize of $150
and published in "Abroad View." All other submissions will be further
reviewed for magazine and online publication. The deadline is April
2, 2008. Send your entry to [log in to unmask]
.

More detailed guidelines for each of the following categories are
available at www.abroadview.org/initiatives/writingcontest.htm:

PERSONAL JOURNEYS: First-person narrative focusing on a specific
experience that led to a deeper realization or greater cultural
understanding. Please include vivid reporting, sensory detail, final
reflection, and commentary. Maximum word count is 1,500.

INSPIRATION: Artistic expression and creative writing in the form of
poetry and short stories inspired by your experience living and
traveling in another country. Maximum word count is 2,000.

VIEWPOINT: No matter where you studied abroad, you likely came home
with a strong view about a specific global event or issue. This is
your opportunity to express yourself in an informative commentary on
current hot-button topics. Maximum word count is 1,000.

**************

The Housing Pre and Post Study Abroad Facebook Group

Are you studying abroad next Fall or Spring and need someone to rent your apartment?  Are you returning from a study abroad program and need a new place to live?

Join the "Housing Pre and Post Study Abroad" Facebook Group at http://uga.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10170600903&ref=share

If you are planning to study abroad or returning soon, the group is designed to help you solve housing problems.  Find roommates, lease your apartment, and post your want-ads on the discussion board.

*****************

Study Abroad Scholarships

*KATHERINE MURPHY SCHOLARSHIP*

$500 scholarship for UGA undergraduates attending UGA or external study abroad or exchange programs.

Eligibility: A 3.3 minimum GPA is required, and student must not have

previously studied abroad for academic credit at the university level.

Application deadline: March 7, 2008

For more information visit: *http://www.uga.edu/oie/sagensch.htm*

********

*IEW (International Education Week) SCHOLARSHIP*

$500 scholarship for UGA undergraduates attending a UGA sponsored study

abroad or exchange program.

Eligibility: 3.3 minimum GPA required and must not have previously studied

abroad for academic credit at the university level.

Application deadline: March 7, 2008

For more information visit: http://www.uga.edu/oie/sagensch.htm

******************************

STARS (Study Abroad with Regents Support) Stipend

$500 scholarship for UGA students participating in a UGA or external study

abroad or exchange program.  Students work in the Office of International

Education for 50 hours over the course of  a semester.

Application Deadline for Summer:  April 4, 2008

Questions?  Contact Colleen Larson at [log in to unmask]

***********

*FREEMAN-ASIA SCHOLARSHIP*

The primary goal of Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA) is to

increase the number of U.S. undergraduates who study in East and Southeast

Asia, by providing them with the information and financial assistance they

will need.

Eligibility: Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents at time

of application. Must currently receive Need-Based Financial Aid or

demonstrate through FAFSA a verifiable need for financial assistance to

study abroad in Asia. Applicants must have little or no previous experience

in the country in which they plan to study. (must not have spent more than 4

weeks in proposed country of study within last 5 years) Freeman-ASIA Award

Program grantees are expected to share their experiences with their home

campuses to encourage study abroad in Asia by others, and to spread greater

understanding of Asian peoples and cultures within their home communities.

Application Deadline for study in Fall 2008-Spring 2009: April 2, 2008

For more information visit: http://www.iie.org/programs/freeman-asia/

************************

BENJAMIN A. GILMAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

Fall 2008 Application Now Open - Deadline: April 15, 2008

Apply now at http://www.iie.org/gilman

This year the Gilman International Scholarship Program will provide 820

scholarships of up to $5,000 for U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad

for up to one academic year. The program aims to diversify the kinds of

student who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go. The

program serves students who have been under-represented in study abroad

which includes but is not limited to: students with high financial need,

community college students, students in under-represented fields such as the

sciences and engineering, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds, students

attending minority-serving institutions, and students with disabilities.

The Gilman Program seeks to assist students from a diverse range and type of

two-year and four-year public and private institutions from all 50 states. A

limited number of $3000 Critical Need Language Supplements are available for

students studying a critical need language for a total possible award of

$8000. A list of eligible languages can be found on the Gilman website at

http://www.iie.org/gilman

Eligibility: Students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of

application and cannot be studying abroad in a country currently under a U.S.

Department of State Travel Warning or in Cuba. The Gilman International

Scholarship Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of

Educational and Cultural Affairs and administered by the Institute of

International Education.

For more information, full eligibility criteria and the online

application visit: http://www.iie.org/gilman

Contact for Applicants:  email: [log in to unmask]

*******************************

*UGA ALUMNI ASSOCIATION FELLOWSHIP

For UGA undergraduate students attending semester long UGA study abroad and

exchange programs.

Minimum GPA: 3.0. Must not have studied abroad before and have at least one

semester remaining at UGA following study abroad/exchange semester.

Deadline for Fall 2008: April 18, 2008

Application available at http://www.uga.edu/oie/sagensch.htm

***********

UGA FOUNDATION STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP FOR FALL UGA PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS

Open to Fall 2008 or 2009-2009 Full Year participants of UGA sponsored study

abroad and exchange programs, excluding UGA Costa Rica and UGA at Oxford

<>Deserving UGA undergraduates, participating in a UGA-sponsored study

abroad or exchange program for one semester (Fall or Spring) or full

academic year, will be designated as University of Georgia Foundation Study

Abroad Scholars and awarded scholarships ($500 and up) in support of his/her

upcoming study abroad program. These University of Georgia Foundation Study

Abroad Scholarship funds are supported and provided through the University

of Georgia Foundation Incentive Scholarship Initiative Program.

<>Eligibility : --2.50 minimum GPA required, Must not have previously

studied abroad for academic credit at the university level --Award based on

demonstrated financial need, strong personal recommendation, essays,

academic merit, and overall application. --Scholarship recipients must

commit to work with the Office of International Education and/or Study

Abroad Program Director (as determined by the OIE) and provide a minimum of

10 hours of volunteer service during the semester of return to the UGA

campus, promoting study abroad and sharing his/her experience with others.

Students must have completed at least one full semester at UGA prior to

application and have at least one semester to complete at UGA upon return. (

i.e. scholarship cannot be used for the last semester of your degree program

in order to participate in post-study abroad service activities).

--NOTE: UGA Costa Rica and UGA at Oxford applicants must INSTEAD apply for

the UGA Foundation Scholarship directly with those study abroad program

directors following separate specific application procedures and deadlines.

Separate scholarship funds are available for these 2 study abroad programs.

--FALL 2008 APPLICATION DEADLINE ? April 18, 2008, 5 pm

--TO APPLY: Download the Fall 2007 UGA Foundation Scholarship application

form to the OIE website at http://www.uga.edu/oie/sagensch.htm and submit to

the Office of International Education.

**********

BRIDGING SCHOLARSHIPS: JAPAN

The Bridging Scholarship program will award 50 scholarships

to American students participating in study-abroad programs

in Japan that begin in Fall 2008. Undergraduate students

majoring in any field of study and attending any recognized

exchange or independent program in Japan are eligible to

apply for these scholarships.

Application Deadline:  April 7, 2008

Visit:

http://www.colorado.edu/ealld/atj/Bridging/scholarships.html

for more information

--
Monica Catalano
Study Abroad Graduate Assistant

Help win the fight against cancer.  Make a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and my Team in Training!
http://www.active.com/donate/tntga/monicacatalano