Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to
enhance instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time,
or even in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate
good classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending
an entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a
period of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO OF THE WEEK:

Guns, Germs, and Steel – Part I – Out of Eden (2005) - This is a
National Geographic documentary film adapted from the
Pulitzer-Prize-winning book of the same name, by Jared Diamond. It deals
with agriculture, geography, and the roots of global inequality.

“Diamond's theory [in Guns, Germs, and Steel]  is that the predominance
of white Europeans (and Americans of European descent) over other
cultures has nothing to do with racial superiority, as many have
claimed, but is instead the result of nothing more, or less, than
geographical coincidence. His argument, in a nutshell, is that the
people who populated the Middle East's "fertile crescent" thousands of
years ago were the first farmers, blessed with abundant natural
resources (native crops such as wheat and barley, domesticable animals
like pigs, goats, sheep, and cows). When their descendents migrated to
Europe and northern Africa, climates similar to the crescent's, those
same assets, which were unavailable in most of the rest of the world,
led to the flourishing of advanced civilizations in those places as
well.“

This video is a good one to use in conjunction with a “History of
agriculture” unit.  It has a dual focus on early crop production and how
the production and storage of certain types of crops led to the
development of civilizations; as well as a similar focus on the
importance of larger domestic animals – both for food and their ability
to supply “horsepower”.

You may purchase a DVD of Guns, Germs, and Steel through Amazon.com.
It is $26.99.  Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Braden-Doane/dp/B0009GX1EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1233346799&sr=1-1

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available: