Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO OF THE WEEK:

Guns, Germs, and Steel – Part I – Out of Eden (2005) - This is a National Geographic documentary film adapted from the Pulitzer-Prize-winning book of the same name, by Jared Diamond. It deals with agriculture, geography, and the roots of global inequality.

“Diamond's theory [in Guns, Germs, and Steel]  is that the predominance of white Europeans (and Americans of European descent) over other cultures has nothing to do with racial superiority, as many have claimed, but is instead the result of nothing more, or less, than geographical coincidence. His argument, in a nutshell, is that the people who populated the Middle East's "fertile crescent" thousands of years ago were the first farmers, blessed with abundant natural resources (native crops such as wheat and barley, domesticable animals like pigs, goats, sheep, and cows). When their descendents migrated to Europe and northern Africa, climates similar to the crescent's, those same assets, which were unavailable in most of the rest of the world, led to the flourishing of advanced civilizations in those places as well.“

This video is a good one to use in conjunction with a “History of agriculture” unit.  It has a dual focus on early crop production and how the production and storage of certain types of crops led to the development of civilizations; as well as a similar focus on the importance of larger domestic animals – both for food and their ability to supply “horsepower”.

You may purchase a DVD of Guns, Germs, and Steel through Amazon.com.  It is $26.99.  Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Braden-Doane/dp/B0009GX1EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1233346799&sr=1-1

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

American Harvest

Libby Lintel