Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.  The worksheet for this particular
video is different from the others: it asks that student to record their
thoughts/observations on each section.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Our Daily Bread  (2006)

This film is something of a shocker, but also very highly acclaimed.  It
has no dialogue, only sounds and images.  Filmed in Europe, it takes a
look at modern, industrial food production.  It is broken into a number
of small chapters – so you could choose only to watch those that apply
to your classroom. You will see: chicken hatchery, greenhouse vegetable
production, calf c-section, bull semen collection, apple production,
laying hens, white asparagus harvest, pig slaughter and processing,
sunflower and lettuce harvest, milking carousel, nut production – tree
shakers, salt mine, aquaculture and robotic fish processing, pig AI,
farrowing crates, removing pig tails, cleaning out a greenhouse, chicken
collection and processing, cow processing – including killing, bleeding,
and removing the hides from cows, industrial cleaning operations.

This video, in its entirety, is not for the faint of heart. On the other
hand, one of my UGA grad school professors told us that student learn
best when their EMOTIONS are engaged.  This video will definitely do
that.  I am sure that they will remember it.  For a long time.

As a teacher new to the world of agriculture (having taught only
horticulture for the past seven years) – it is certainly an eye-opener.
It must be like tasting of the tree of the knowledge – now I know.

Reviews from Amazon.com, etc.
“The 2001: A Space Odyssey of modern food production.” Stuart Klawans,
The Nation

“One of the year's [10] best! A Must-see! Its formal elegance, moral
underpinning and intellectually stimulating point of view make it
essential. Mr. Geyrhalter wants us not only to look at the world we have
made with care and consideration, but also contemplate a reality newly
visible that is all too easy to ignore and just as impossible to look
away from.” --Manohla Dargis, The New York Times

“Welcome to the world of industrial food production and high-tech
farming. To the rhythm of conveyor belts and immense machines, the film
looks without commenting in the places where food is produced:
monumental spaces, surreal landscapes and bizarre sounds a cool,
industrial environment which leaves little space for individualism.
People, animals, crops and machines play a supporting role in the
logistics of this system which provides our society s standard of
living. OUR DAILY BREAD is a wide-screen tableau of a feast which isn't
always easy to digest and in which we all take part. A pure, meticulous
and high-end film experience that enables the audience to form their own
ideas”

 You may purchase a DVD of Our Daily Bread  through Amazon.com.  It is $
26.99.  Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Our-Daily-Bread-n/dp/B001N3R8WG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1239479340&sr=1-1

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest
City Farmers
Gimme Green
Guns, Germs, and Steel