From: Anna Savelle [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:02 PM
Subject: Young Scholars Program

In the Young Scholars Program high schoolers come to UGA, and work for six weeks under a mentor from different departments in the College of Ag.

This year, we decided to put our application online and offer the program to all schools around the state instead of just those counties surrounding Athens, Griffin, or Tifton, which are the three campuses for UGA. We have a program at each one. We really want to offer and encourage this program for FFA members becuase it is through the College of Ag and is about science and animals, crops, horticulture, etc. This is right up FFA's alley! :)

Below is an announcement from Ms. Jessica Loggins, the YSP coordinator, and I am attaching a flier, a brochure, and our fall newsletter so people can learn more about the program.

Anna

The Young Scholars Program is a summer research experience for high school sophomores, juniors and seniors that allows them to work with scientists within CAES for 6 weeks during the summer, while earning a salary.

 In the past, we have only distributed applications in surrounding counties.  This year for the first time, our application is online, which will  allow us to reach out to students in other areas of Georgia.

 Students can find the application on this website:  www.ysp.caes.uga.edu.  The application is available now.

They can specify which campus is closer to them – Athens, Griffin or Tifton.

We are looking for high school Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors, interested in science, math, technology and/or agriculture.

Application deadline is January 29, 2010 – transcripts and letters of recommendation from science, math or agriculture teachers are required.

I am attaching a flyer and a brochure with detailed information about the program.  Also attached is our newsletter.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you so much!

 Jessica I Loggins

Office of Diversity Relations

College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences

The University of Georgia

Lumpkin House, Suite 202A

Athens, GA 30602

Telephone (706) 542-8826