From: Joe Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: why leaves change

 Thanks Teri for this lesson idea about fall leaf color...

Can I piggy back on that lesson idea? ..... Since fall is a good time to get
kids in the woods appreciating trees,  one activity I do is using color
plates that I get free from the local paint store.  Just paste them onto
some card stock and create something similar to a color wheel (see photo
attached)

To object is to see which team of kids can collect the most leaf colors that
match those on the color plates.  Create a game, competition, or art project
with the findings.  Identify the trees as you go.

Or you can take it a step further by using the Tree Evaluation Form
(attached).  It will get kids thinking spatially about tree height, girth,
diameter, identification, etc...  Also, just for fun, they can get their
photo taken while conducting the Hug Factor evaluation noted at the
bottom...

Lastly, if any teachers want an instructional paper model for leaf anatomy,
I have good one that was given to me on Leaf Layers and one on Leaf Cross
Sections... a good indoor activity to continue the leaf theme.

Happy Fall!
joe

 Joe C. Green
Horticulture Teacher - Pope High
FFA Chapter Advisor
http://popehs.typepad.com/mr_green/
www.popehorticulture.com
I.S.A. Certified Arborist International Society of Arboriculture
770-578-7900, ext. 286