From: Joe Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: why leaves change

Thanks Teri for this lesson idea about fall leaf color...

Can I piggy back on that lesson idea? ..... Since fall is a good time to get kids in the woods appreciating trees,  one activity I do is using color plates that I get free from the local paint store.  Just paste them onto some card stock and create something similar to a color wheel (see photo attached)

To object is to see which team of kids can collect the most leaf colors that match those on the color plates.  Create a game, competition, or art project with the findings.  Identify the trees as you go.

Or you can take it a step further by using the Tree Evaluation Form (attached).  It will get kids thinking spatially about tree height, girth, diameter, identification, etc...  Also, just for fun, they can get their photo taken while conducting the Hug Factor evaluation noted at the bottom...

Lastly, if any teachers want an instructional paper model for leaf anatomy,  I have good one that was given to me on Leaf Layers and one on Leaf Cross Sections... a good indoor activity to continue the leaf theme.

Happy Fall!
joe

Joe C. Green
Horticulture Teacher - Pope High
FFA Chapter Advisor
I.S.A. Certified Arborist International Society of Arboriculture
770-578-7900, ext. 286