I know several of you are beginning to prepare for the Livestock Judging
contests in December.  The area 1 contest is scheduled for:  Thursday,
December 3 and the Area 2 contest is scheduled for:  Tuesday, December 8.
The Area 1 Contest will be held in Calhoun at the NW GA Livestock Pavilion
and the Area 2 Contest will be held in Athens at the UGA Animal & Dairy
Science ArenaI will send more information regarding each contest in the
coming weeks along with registration information for each contest.

Please review the awards bulletins for each contest  at this link:
http://gaaged.org/Career%20Development%20Events/CDE.HTML.  Click on the link
for CDE Awards Bulletin for complete guidelines on the contest.  I am also
attaching a copy of the CDE Scan tron for the Livestock CDE.  Please start
using it in practice as much as possible, so your students will be familiar
with the form.

Each area contest will consist of 6 placing classes; with two sets of
reasons for seniors and one set of reasons for juniors.  Juniors will give
reasons on beef heifers for the Area Contest.  The Seniors will also be
asked to evaluation Female Selection (Keep / Cull on 8 heifers using
performance data).  The Seniors will also complete a 20 question management
test.  The reference for the Management test is:  Modern Livestock & Poultry
Production (7th Edition) by James Gillespie.  I will pull questions from the
following Sections / Units:  *Section 3 (Units 9-12).*  I will not use any
questions on chickens, horses, dairy, etc... questions will only be used
relating to the species currently included in the contest:  Beef Cattle,
Sheep, Hogs & Goats (new). We may have a class of market goats at the area
contests (depending on availability of classes).

Please contact me directly if you have any questions or need assistance in
getting your team ready for the contest.

--
 Christa Steinkamp
North Region - Area Livestock Teacher